Memory

Not that one specifically, but I do have another type of low latency Corsair memory in an Athlon64 nForce3 system. It's rated for 2-3-3-6 1T but in AMD systems that's apparently not stable and they recommend 2.5-3-3-6. In that configuration I have no complaints.

Andrew,

I have these 8 sticks of the 2326 Corsair LL. My machine is about 1.5 years old and I am trying to upgrade to double Opteron Dual Core 285. I want too just buy the new motherboard and CPU's but none of the motherboard manufacturers recommend this memory. Apparently the memory uses 2.7 volts according to Crucial and most motherboard for the dual Opterons just provide 2.5 volts. The ASUS people have adjustable voltage but workstation manufacturers don't like this motherboard.

Now I just found out that most of the new motherboard have no AGP and my Quadro card is an AGP. This machine is fairly recent. I don't like the idea of wasting so many components.

My questions on the forum was gear to find out if anybody else is using succesfully using this memory.

Regards

Elliot

Andrews,

I am here testing the computer. Something is very wrong. It seems that everytime I place a large file to be rendered or processed the computer goes crazy and crashes. This is a problem that has been going on for quite a while. Most of my ordinary files are small. Lately I have been working with larger files.

I am wondering if this Low Latency memory is overheating and becoming too unstable. Have you heard of something like this....?

Regards

Elliot

• 2 weeks later...
guys, does latency make a big difference? I m tring to upgrade the ram in macbook to a crosair CAS=5 ddr2 pc5300 but I see there is other chips with CAS of 2.0

as a rule the lower the latency the better... lower lat. ram supposedly speeds up your system without requiring you to overclock it.

edit: Just make sure it's compatible:p

Andrews,

I am here testing the computer. Something is very wrong. It seems that everytime I place a large file to be rendered or processed the computer goes crazy and crashes. This is a problem that has been going on for quite a while. Most of my ordinary files are small. Lately I have been working with larger files.

I am wondering if this Low Latency memory is overheating and becoming too unstable. Have you heard of something like this....?

Regards

Elliot

without digging up exactly what type of ram that is, Opterons operate best with ECC/Reg ram... yeah, the expensive stuff. So if your ram isn't such, then you're in for a world of headache.

have you sufficiently stress-tested the computer for over 24 hours yet? ...running an instance of StressPrime2004 for each core, MEMtest, SuperPI, Sandra Burn-IN?

what are the specs of your system?

edit: that's good ram (would be awesome for a socket 939 system) but is it recommended by your mobo's manufacturer?

none of the motherboard manufacturers recommend this memory.

:D :D :D

fwiw: I'd sell it to buy the ecc. you can get opteron approved ram for cheaper than what that stuff costs!

I just picked up some of this for my Tyan K8WE though you may want to go with the 1gb sticks:

clickie

Guys,

I have not read the forum during the last few days. I finsihed bulding my system and I am in the process of tweaking it. Everything seems to work fine except the memory. When I put the 8 sticks of the low latency memory, the Premier 2.0 will crash. Mainly with Premier 2.0

I switch around and rotate the memory sticks, it only happens when I have the 8 sticks. It happens on the Tyan motherboard and on the Supermicro. I am starting to think that the Power Supply has something to do with it. It only crashes on big files.

I called Supermicro and they said that these sticks are not on the approved list, have not been tested but that doesn't mean that they would not work. In fact the tech said they are nice memory sticks and he has no problems with them on his machine at home.

The one thing that speeds up the most on the new system is the SCSI Raid 0 with the 15,000 rpm drives. There is a notable difference when I use the SATA raid.

Thanks

Elliot

Guys,

I have not read the forum during the last few days. I finsihed bulding my system and I am in the process of tweaking it. Everything seems to work fine except the memory. When I put the 8 sticks of the low latency memory, the Premier 2.0 will crash. Mainly with Premier 2.0

I switch around and rotate the memory sticks, it only happens when I have the 8 sticks. It happens on the Tyan motherboard and on the Supermicro. I am starting to think that the Power Supply has something to do with it. It only crashes on big files.

I called Supermicro and they said that these sticks are not on the approved list, have not been tested but that doesn't mean that they would not work. In fact the tech said they are nice memory sticks and he has no problems with them on his machine at home.

The one thing that speeds up the most on the new system is the SCSI Raid 0 with the 15,000 rpm drives. There is a notable difference when I use the 15kSATA raid.

Thanks

Elliot

yes, that's super-ram but -- personally, I'd not risk running unrecommended (it's recommended for a reason) ram on a workstation that needs to be dependable... it's just not worth it... sure it can be done, but the risk is that when you need to be able to count on the machine ~ you can't because it's not stable. The reason AMD's Opterons are such great processors is because they are quality controlled at least 3 times as much as the athlons, turions, ...etc... an opteron system is made for stability and when you're using unrecommended ram you're negating the beauty of having a workstation. If you're only gaming on such a machine it's not a big deal...

if you're running xp32 bit you're not making us of all 8 sticks anyway so i'd forget about the last pair and try to make things as stable as possible if you're sold on the idea of using that ram

15kSCSI RAID ~ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: delicious

Sorry, somehow I managed to miss a couple of posts in this thread, but my advice would be - don't go buying new RAM quite yet. There are issues here that have nothing to do with the manufacturer or whether it's on the approved list - AMD systems have a history of sometimes not working with memory latencies set the same as they would be on Intels even when the memory is spec'ed for it (vastly different memory architectures and all). In this case, on AMD motherboards, even though the memory is rated at 2-3-2-6 if you search you will that gaming enthusiast web sites (which usually do excellent hardware reviews) tend to recommend that you set it to 2.5-3-3-6. I don't know your motherboard but usually you can get at those settings in the BIOS - it's what I did on mine and it improved stability a lot.

The other problem involves number of DIMMS as a limiting factor in how fast you can clock the RAM. Many MBs require the RAM speed to drop from 400MHz to 333 when using more than 4 "sides" of DIMM (a 2-sided module counts for 2). Even if you MB does not require it, it could be an undocumented problem and if you RAM speed is tweakable you may gain stability by dropping the speed from, say, 400 to 390. Again, nothing to do with the approved parts list.

Lastly, that line of Corsair ships in matched pairs and if you have a way of knowing which pairs came in the same box and a diagram of the memory interleaving on your MB, you might actually notice a different if you pair them. Crazy sounding, but memory is weird.

Daron and Andrew

What you are saying make sense on this end. It is an interesting problem. The failures have something to do with large files. Especially with Premiere 2.0.

I tweaked the MB to the specific memory latency ratings. That didn't do anything. I am noticing that when I put all the memory sticks in the MB and run Premiere one or two of the memory sticks will get very hot. Upon removing two of the memory sticks, no matter which two..... then Premiere will not get them hot....

When I rum Premiere on of of the other desktops or even my laptop I don't get the heat or crash problems. I don't think the issue is Premiere. It is something with the memories. I does the same thing with both the Supermicro and Tyan motherboards. The only common thing between the two motherboards is the memory.

This has become a Sherlock Holmes saga.....!

Thanks

Elliot

Daron and Andrew

What you are saying make sense on this end. It is an interesting problem. The failures have something to do with large files. Especially with Premiere 2.0.

... because large files put heavy strain on the memory (which, after all, isn't recommended for your mobo)

When I rum Premiere on of of the other desktops or even my laptop I don't get the heat or crash problems. I don't think the issue is Premiere.

...because they have the correct memory for their respective systems:p

It is something with the memories. I does the same thing with both the Supermicro and Tyan motherboards. The only common thing between the two motherboards is the memory.

This has become a Sherlock Holmes saga.....!

Thanks

Elliot

... i'm just going to recommend, believe it or not, to pick up recommended memory and see if that cures the problem...

I learned something when overclocking my rendernodes ~ each system (despite having the same components) is different and may or may not be able to do what another system does. Sure one guy may be able to use the unrecommended ram in his system, but you can't fully expect to have the same results.

Daron,

I went to Monarch Computers, while there I bought the recommended memory and I placed it on the Tyan motherboard and the same thing happened. The salesman and serrvice techs (good guys) where with me when all this happened. Their conclusion was that something could be wrong with the motherboard.

That's what started all these.... at that point I returned the memory sticks and purchased the Supermicro motherboard..... Now it is doing the same thing on the Supermicro.... When I place the memory sticks on the Tyan 2885 with two Opterons Single Core Model 250 it does the same thing.

Tomorrow I am going to Monarch and I will purchase new memory sticks. Now everything on the Supermicro is brand new except the memory. If the problem remains after changning the memory I will call Adobe.....!

The summary is interesting...

New Motherboard - SUpermicro H8DC8

New CPU's Opteron 285's

New Hardrives Seagates 15,000 RPM on SCSI Raid 0

New Video Card Quadro 1500

New Power Supply 620 watts

Old Case - Lian

Old Memory 1.4 years old Corsair Twinx CMX512RE-3200LL XMS3200REv2.1 400mhz

Soon or later somebody will suggest it is the OLD cabinet.....He he he he

Thanks

Elliot

It could be the old cabinet. Does it have sufficient fans? Can you monitor temperatures? The new CPUs, HDDs, power and Quadro all probably put out more heat than the old ones.

But I don't think that's what it is.

New RAM won't fix it, but you could try manually setting the memory speed to 333MHz from 400 (or if it's listed in your settings as 200, drop to 166). The more I hear the more it sounds like the too many DIMM sides running at full speed issue.

Aside from that I'm running out of ideas. Use 4 1GB DIMMs instead of 8 512s? (Does your vendor actually let you keep buying RAM and returning it if you don't like it? As in, "hmmmm... that didn't wok, let's try 4 512s and 2 1024s of ECC in here guys... nope, now give me two different 1024s but with a black heat spreader...")

Andrew,

About the vendor letting me return the memory.... Not without charging a re-stocking fee and making sure that the memory is OK. About a year ago they charged me a re-stocking fee of close to 30% the next day after I purchased the memory. That's OK with me.... they have been good guys...>!

What happened this time is that their head of tech support told me the old memory was bad. Right on the spot I told him to put new memory and while in their shop I tested the computer and it kept crashing. The young guy accepted it was not the memory and he wrote the credit without me asking. These guys at Monarch Computers are very fair... I have been using them for 5 years and I find them very good.

There is no doubt that when I don't fully populate the board with the 8 sticks.... it will work OK. I have changed the sticks to see if I could isolate the bad one.... It doesn't matter which one I put in there. With 8 sticks the computer crashes.... with 6 sticks... (no matter which 6) the computer doesn't crash.

I have already manually set the Motherboard from 400 memory to 300. About the only thing left is to change to four (4) 1024 mb sticks instead of eight (8) 512mb sticks.

Otherwise the computer works OK. I am not very thrilled with these 285's. There is a definite speed gain over the 250 single core Opterons.... but not that great. One positive thing is that the new fans make these machine less noisy. I guess if you are rendering all the time.... then I can see it as helpfull. On most of the applications it just the same as the 250's.

I have the memory issue with both machines. The only thing they have in common is Premier 2.0 and the memory sticks.... I ocassionally will crash with other programs but the main offender is Premier.

I have 11 fans... The case is a full size Lian aluminum case that can accomodate the AT-ex motherboard. This is an aluminum cabinet it is fairly tall, wide and long.

Thanks

ELliot

I'm out of ideas besides the 4 sticks instead of 8, the case is definitely good enough :) and it sounds like you've tried everything I would have thought of and then some.

Anybody else running dual-dual Opterons with 4 gigs want to suggest anything?...

Guys,

I was working on my other computer and left the main computer on. The main is the one with the suspicious memory problem. All of a sudden the computer crashed while on idle.

Everything on this computer is brand new except the memory.... Is this a symptom of memory problems?

Thanks

Elliot