first timer stuck again!

justintime1

Hi folks, your help would be hugely appreciated

God im getting a bit frustrated with this if I’m honest . Iv set about doing my very fist 3d Max tutorial last night.. Its of a flying saucer / robot form the film batteries not included. WOOO HOO!!! One of the video tutorial form 3d palace. Which might add I is a wonderful resource.,

But alas I am not getting on to well. Fort some reason my viewport and that of the tutorial don’t appear the same.

Some of the object on my screen isn’t being drawn correctly and when rendered bit are missing??

Iv followed the steps to this point to the letter and I cant get me head round what could be wrong . its rather frustrating.!

I encounter a similar problem last night wile just playing about latheing a galss, but the solution to that problem suggested on here doesn’t seam to work ( changing the normals? ), and this weirdness on this current project seam to have only happened since the inclusion of the tube object..?

ARGGGGGGG ! WHATS GOING ON!

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated .

I’m a complete novice with max. Cinema 4d not a problem , But Max I might as well have my eyes shut.

Many thanks Matt

Ahhhh....you've fallen down the two sided whole. Every object in Max has 1 side. If you draw a closed shape in a new scene then convert it to a mesh you will see what I mean. It may appear filled on one side and invisible on the other. To get over this in th eviewport: right click the viewport name and select configure... Under rendering mthod/rendering options you will see a box force 2 sided. Tick that then hey ho...its done. To render dorce 2 sided you can either tick force 2 sided on the common parameters tab or you can tick 2 sided material on material basic parameters IF a material is added to the onbject.

Good luck

A simple rule to remember is that everything in CAD/3D generally goes anti/counter-clockwise... As Rick said, it a 'normals' problem. There are a couple of solutions - reverse the direction of the spline or add a normal modifier to the stack and click the 'reverse normals' button. Hope this helps ;)

One step ahead of you on that one my good man, I ordered my copy this morning , . Having read about it on here last night. It dose sound exactly what I’m after. Its got to come form the states tho , which is a pain in the ass as my girlfrined has just come back form New York like three days ago!.

Thanks for the advice .

i'’m sure I will before long be asking yet more stupid questions .

many thanks

MATT

Well done Simon . thank you very much, that has done the trick, I fear you haven’t heard the last of ME.

Can any one recommend any good .. nice easy tutorials to teach me this stuff…

many thanks

matt

Don't forget the tutorials and help files that come with max...lots of good stuff in there that you already paid for ;)

Steve