Assigning Materials with Maxwell in Max

Ricardo Borges

One thing that is great with Vray/Max is the ability to open a library file (.mat) and automatically replace all the common materials in the scene with a single click (Material/Map browser > Update Scene Materials from library). This is great for those who model outside Max, and with just a click all saved (vray) materials are back to the scene.

So, as Maxwell Max plugin can't save mxm in a mat file, what would be the best workflow to assign/update the materials in a scene??

Do I always have to open each mxm and manually assign it to the objects in the scene?? I miss an automated assignemt.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Ricardo

Without testing it I would guess that if you’re replacing geometry in the scene that is named the same as what your removing then you won't have to re apply the MXM material. That's a guess because I haven't tried this yet, but you wouldn’t have to open the MXM, just reapply it like any Max material.

I guess you are talking about file link manager. Yes it is true that I wont loose my already assigned materials when reloading geometry.

But what about the very first import? I think it's a pain to manually assign 40+ mxm materials to objects in the scene.

I would like to know if there is an automated way, like the one I wrote on my first post.

I guess not :(