Material resolution in viewport

aflack

I have a high resolution texture that I want to use as a base plan then model all the buildings on top of this texture so it is important that I can view the texture in the viewport at high resolution.

How-ever when I apply the texture to the plane it comes out as a series of dots when it should resemble a plan. I take it there is a setting somewhere that limits the material size and quality but I have no idea where this is?

Any help would be great

Try sitting the the 'download texture size' to 512.

Go into preference settings under the customize menu, select vieports, at the bottom you will find 'display drivers', choose 'configure driver' and select

'512', under 'download texture size'.

Each grafix card may have bigger or smaller values

hope it helps

i would use Autocad instead for making plines in AutoCad. than i will import those plines in max and start modeling in max.

i have noticed that Autocad can display high resolution textures very well. unfortunately, this is not the case with max.

try AutoCad for once :)

As i understand, the texture map is only used for reference as to where aflack wants to place his buildings, but yes, if you want to create splines from that texture one would rather use another app and then bring them to max

i absolutely agree that if the purpose is just to have a reference and not a High level of accuracy is involved than max here can solve the purpose easily.

but in case you want a higher level of accuracy, which means u want to model all buildings , curbs etc... with complete details as like in the site plan than, max is not the right tool for this job. max has its own limitations. ;)

Cheers !!!