glass reflections

jccloutier

3ds max 7

vray 1.47.03

i am trying to create architectural glass that is transparent (background image and objects behind show through), tinted, and reflects a spherical HDRI map correctly (perpendicular to glass faces, not camera).

the sample is made of 2 pieces of glass, corner butt joint, with 2 spheres - one behind glass, one in front of glass.

norefmap.jpg

as soon as i apply the hdri map for reflections (either by overridding the reflection map in vray or dropping the hdri on the material reflection slot), my glass is no longer transparent to the background image. the physical objects show through but the background image does not. also, there seems to be 2 reflections overlapping.

refmap.jpg

thoughts?

put HDRI map as your environment would solve your problem and also make the hdri as your light source.. if you need a sun you can put the vray sun

good luck

but i need that specific image for the background, so i can't use the hdri as the environment.

his background map is not hdri , right,,, then you map your specific background to a box and position it as your backdrop.. your environment map is still the hdri...i guess it would be ok...................................

Sure you can. Just use the same map.

i guess i'm not being clear (like the glass):

the first post has a background image with some buildings cars and trees that i took of a site that i put a rendering into. pretty standard procedure so far: bg.jpg

here's the final image for reference: creditunion.jpg

i would like to use an HDRI spherical map that properly reflects off the building. i cannot use the background image as the reflection because 1. it sucks 2. the building we're demo-ing would reflect in the new building and 3. if i override max's reflection with a spherical HDRI map i get overlapping reflections (one correct, one not) AND the background is no longer visible through the glass: refmap.jpg