Create terrain around the road

bedford

Hi all, I'm a newbie in Max and my first project already gives me some problems...I've created a road using a loft. It's probably the best way (I've read a lot of thread about) for creating a windy mountain road.

Here is a little shot of a little part of the road.

hArKl2ZDgd_circuit.jpg

You can see the road and the initial banking. Now I need to create the mountain around this road and so I'm stuck. How to do so ? I've tried to create a simple plane to attach between the sides of the road, but can't get it to work. I need a detailed object as I'll then add the details of then mountain.

What should be the best way to do it ?

Thanks for help.

Bob

if you have the topography of the site, you can import it into max and use the terrain tool to model it.

If you don't have the topography you could probably fake it by drawing the topography in splines and the using the terrain compound object

terrain modeler is under compound objects>terrain...tips on using it correctly can be found in max's help file, just search for terrain and you'll get it.

Another way: soft selection for hills and such (hate that terrain modeler), glue modifier for road spline

Thanks for the tip, but glue modifier, that I've already tried, doesn't allow to align the terrain to the border sides. I absolutely want the road not to be modified, as otherwise they may be strange things like banking road (just because terrain was not flat under the road.

Maybe I missed something...

Bob

Bob,

If you don't want to use contour lines, and therefore don't need exactness in the topography, all you have to do (as someone already mentioned) is use the Soft Selection tool (under Edit Mesh) and sculpt the mountain. Then, once it's very close, take the 2D closed spline that represents the road outline and extrude it so it cuts through the terrain. Then select the terrain, go to Boolean>Cut>Split and pick the extruded road as Operand B. Add the Edit Mesh modifier and go to face subobject mode, select Detach and you've got two separate objects. Now if you don't have a 2D spline of the road, all you have to do to get it is add the Edit Mesh modifier to the road object, go to Edge mode, click 'Select Open Edges', and then click Create Shape from Edges (with the Linear option). You can try to do the Boolean with the 3D spline, but if it doesn't work and you need it 2D, go to vertex mode, highlight all the vertices, go to Top view, right-click, and select View Align from the quad menu.

That will definitely get you what you need. Hope I explained it well enough.