Free game engine??

Koper

Hi all, I am looking for a free game engine, not big or anything, just capable of taking a simple environment done in 3d's max (a plane with some blocks as objects) and letting me move around the objects with a keyboard. I know this is capable inside max but i need something externally. And maybe something that will let me use different peripherals than just a keyboard.

I wanna get my head around some ideas i have got, but don't know where to start, so this might just be the place;)

Thanx all

Most of the latest games (esp. first person shooters) have the level editor available to download, the only cost is the price of the game. Try Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournement, the Quake series. Let me know if you try it because I've always wanted to do this, but never had enough time to dedicate to the process.

Thanx for the quick reply, but will these level editors let me replace the current game environment completely with my own?

I will look into that, it's time i get a new game, maybe prince of persia, i know for a fact the environment was developed with max!

Thanx again mate, ill get back to you on this one

let us know how you get on with this as i've also wondered about this as a means of presentation having studied games design a little at uni, but like ray finding the time to look at properly isn't easy. i'm sure there have also been a few other threads along these lines over the last year or so,maybe worth a search to see what

i seem to remember that content could be created in max / maya or any other app probably and used inconjunction with a game engine etc

You can download the unreal runtime engine for free from unreal. Its not quite a drag and drop process though, but it sure is a lot easier than the source engine (halflife). There are probably a couple of easier engines to use, if what you described is all you want to do. I think a saw a post last week from someone offering a free simple engine with easy max conversion.

You can download the unreal runtime engine for free from unreal. Its not quite a drag and drop process though, but it sure is a lot easier than the source engine (halflife). There are probably a couple of easier engines to use, if what you described is all you want to do. I think a saw a post last week from someone offering a free simple engine with easy max conversion.

If you can find that thread and link it for us, that would be much appreciated.

Cool guys, I looked at the similar threads at the bottom and found http://www.devmaster.net/engines/ . Very cool site!! It lists free open source game engines with cool reviews and everything. I think i might be going for the Panda3D engine.

It looks like i am not the only one that wants to look into this, maybe someone can try one of the other open scource engines, and then we can compare after a couple of weeks or so, swap out some notes or something:)

Cool, we'll chat later

I looked at orge and it does look like a decent choice, but i also looked at reviews from random people and it looks as if people are strugling to get max or the .3ds file to work with it, not that they can't. but as time goes on we'll start playing with them all and report back. I think one can do a kick ass presentation with a game engine.