Custom Wall Types

JamesTaylor

sorry for my basic questions but i've only just started looking at Revit and am not up to speed with its lingo etc....

is an "in place family" different to a family??

as i understand it a family object e.g a window can be save out to a libruary and re-import to any project

i'm guessing that if an "in place family" is different its going to be an editable element that can not be exported out of the project in which it was created....

if i'm correct, what elements / objects are families and which are "in place families"??

Thanks

In Revit there are three types of families, System Families, Standard Component or loadable families and in-place family. System families are predefined components by revit as basic part of the building. Wall, floor, roof, ceiling are an example of system families and system families cannot be saved out to a library you can only create different types i.e. for wall (cmu, cmu with brick, gyp board etc.) Standard Component are those you can create using the family editor and save to a library ex. windows, doors, furnitures etc. An In-place family is a unique type of family created at its intended location and cannot be copied to another place but can be assigned to its proper categories i.e. wall, doors, furniture, etc....

Since wall belongs to a system family and you cannot save out a sytem family all you need to do is to create your own standard wall types and save that into a template and make that template as your default so that everytime you open revit your project is already preloaded with your standard wall types. This is not limited to walls only you can add more standards as you want doors, windows, annotations and so on.

Hope this helps

keep in mind that if you created wall A in a project and need it later in another project you can transfer it (and the same applies for all system familes) also, in place familes can also be transfered among project. Just save them as a group and load the group into the new project.

sorry for the late reply hope this also helps you