Server and Database Upgrades

ingo

>>>>Also, I have just been notified that CGarchitect will need to move to a dedicated server very soon. The traffic and load currently being put on the shared server has gotten to a point where site performance and reliabilty are diminishing. If you receice a "server too busy" or Internal 500 Server Error, this is why. Please be patient as we look into this transition. Unfourtunately this means a nearly $1000US/mo hit!

Well, XMas is coming. So maybe Santa sends you a nice new server or your ISP gives you a "one-year-for-free" credit. :)

Keep on your good work

ingo

gespann.gif

Hey, Jeff!

It's good to hear that things are changing for better.

I just would have only one suggestion regarding the galleryand the fomum: to have everyone posting an image to fill out EVERY field. For example, we all know that chen qingfeng's posts are always something like "title: 666*666" and "image info: model by cad". C'mon! We can't simply figure out what the guy's work is! How can we really look at it and say "yes, it's good" or "wow, it sucks"? It's very simple to make fields accept only text or numbers or e-mails or anything you want.

So, I think this would reduce traffic (specially in the forums, where people post their work and never come back to check the crits!) and enhance the quality of information.

Cheers!

Rick

• Administrators

Hey Rick,

I totally agree! However those fields do have vaidations, but there is no way to validate content, other than manually. In CGA2, I will try to implment a process whereby if info is not submitted, a user is sent an email and they have the option to update the info and then have it checked again. Until then, the only option I have is to not post images that do not have proper info. I'm doing more updates this week so I'll add a warning about this. It had bothered me for a very long time and I hate that the database is not full of "clean" information, but whenever you allow users "creative" licence to post info there are thise like Chen who feel that sh*t info is ok. Once I put up the warning I'll stop posting image that are not compete. Maybe people will get the hint. Thanks for the feedback

PS. Had anyone else noticed that the site had been getting alot of errors and image that don't load? I'm working on it, but need to know if others are experiencing this as well.

Jeff

• Administrators

I sure hope so, because if Ad sales do not pick up I can only afford to incur $1000/US mo for a few months. After that CGA shuts down. :( Converted to CDN dollars that is almost two months of my mortgage every month!! Server bandwidth and dedicated servers are not cheap!

Moving to a dedicated server is a HUGE step that means that sales MUST happen or the site dies. Scarry. redface2.gif

Well, XMas is coming. So maybe Santa sends you a nice new server or your ISP gives you a "one-year-for-free" credit. :)

[ November 25, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Mottle ]

• Administrators

Hey Everyone,

Over the weekend CGarchitect was migrated exclusively to a MSSQL databse to improve performance and reliablity. I have also made numerous changes to the gallery upload procedure and data integrity process. In the past their had been some problems with images not mathching the information that was submited. With these fixes all should be resolved. If you experience any problems with the new submision process, please let me know ASAP at (jmottle@cgachitect.com)

Also, I have just been notified that CGarchitect will need to move to a dedicated server very soon. The traffic and load currently being put on the shared server has gotten to a point where site performance and reliabilty are diminishing. If you receice a "server too busy" or Internal 500 Server Error, this is why. Please be patient as we look into this transition. Unfourtunately this means a nearly $1000US/mo hit!

If any probelms are noticed any where else on the site, please let me know as well as the databse migration affected muliple areas of the site. One area that still needs to be fixed (later this week) is the user profile editing.

Thanks,

Jeff

Guest Gleggers

jeff

if i remember correctly..

..have you asked in the past whether we (the users) would pay for cgarchitect?

perhaps payment is an option with regards to the dedicated server issue? if this is the case, could we possibly put it to a vote? i for one would seriously consider payment.

perhaps our payment could cover an expenses paid holiday for your efforts... where do you fancy? ;)

mark