Long render times, maybe?

jophus14

Here's a crop from an image that I’m working on. It's an elevator lobby area with reflective stone on the walls and stainless/brushed steel elevator jambs and doors. I have 2 Vray lights and the ceiling is a VrayLight material set to 1.5. It's only set on medium in my Irr Map and LightCache is 600. At 2400X1800 the render took about 6 hours to calculate. That is with saved maps. Is there a way to trim this time down substantially? Is there a way to get good reflection but without long render times. I'll post my materials and setting if someone would tell me how to do it.

take a look here, for example:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/18612-help-optimize-time-render-big-image.html

maybe you've already done it, but you can try using interpolation on your glossy reflections, and set light cache to calculate glossies.

but i've noticed that when the scene has a lot of reflective surfaces, render times really go up. sounds like in your case most of the visible surfaces have a reflection.

one other thing that can help is turning off "trace reflections" on some of your glossy materials. you'll still get the specularity of the soft light reflection, but it won't actually be reflecting the other surfaces in the scene.

i'm still learning though, so i don't know if i'd take my advice! ;)

If you've turned up your Global subdivs multiplier in your QMC sampler, be sure and turn down your HSph subdivs in your IR map correpondingly. Also, be sure you are not using IR/QMC (default) for interiors. Use IR/LMC instead as its much faster.

Also, for large still renders use strip rendering in backburner to take advantage of all the machines on your network.