VRay Proxy's file paths....

JamesTaylor

I have about 250 proxy's in a scene ( majority of which are instances of a few originals) and i now want to send the scene to render via backburner.

my problem is that i didn't assign UNC paths to the original proxies and so most machines aren't picking up the proxy file come render time.

Is there a way to bring up a list of all the vray proxy file paths in a similar way to how the bitmap / photometric paths utility works that will allow me to edit all the paths in one go / location etc???

also is there a way to have an instanced piece of geometry / proxy selected and be able to tell / select the original object from which the instance was created??

Thanks

James

If you have the slave computer(s) set to look at a specific directory for their maps and then make sure the proxy file is there, it should work. Despite what the actual path is in the max file. So in my max file I say look at D:\Models\...etc. and I have the render slaves looking to a network drive for all of their materials, I copy the proxies to the network path and the slaves will pick up the proxies because they are in the search path for materials.

Kind of confusing, but it works for me.

Yes, correct. And you should use UNC for all proxies, environment maps, etc. if you want other machines on the farm to be able to see everything. Starting in Max 8, you can set it to default to UNC paths, even if you don't always specify via UNC. However, Vray paths will not automatically be changed to UNC... you will need to do it manually.