wireframes in 3dsMax

steveblake

I'm very interested in getting some images together that have a wireframe overlay and wondered if anyone here had some suggestions? The superb looking ArchInteriors have some samples on their site that show the sort fo thing I mean - you get the texture, shadows etc AND the wires, with some of the objects semi transparent.

A mult-pass render perhaps? but how do you render hidden line removal wireframes 3dsMax?

http://www.evermotion.org/shop_display_item.php?item=159

like this:

009_sw.jpg

or this:

005_sw.jpg

cheers

It looks like there are two passes. One is a rendering with lighting and a plain white material applied. The other is just a standard wireframe rendering. The wireframe doesn't have any hidden lines.

In max, under the scanline renderer you can "force wireframe" which will give you black lines and a white background. From the same view, just render another pass with a white material and the lighting you want.

In photoshop lay the wireframe over the other. Change the wire frame's layer to "multiply". You can then mess with the opacity/brightness etc of that layer to make the lines gray not black.

Chuck

thanks notamondayfan, yeah I noticed this one seems to only render static images tho...

You could also clone your objects and apply a lattice modifier to them, use "struts only" and adjust the radius to smooth out the lines. This will give you a hidden-line look vs. the "x-ray" look.
nice idea I'll give it a try...