How to create white glass?

jophus14

I need some help on creating a light grey or white glass to use for an exterior window pane. I'm having a problem because white is usually considered 100% reflection, refraction or whatever depending on the slot you put it in in the vray material editor. I need the window to be reflective yet transparent as well. Should I put a white map somewhere in the material? I need your help. Thanks everyone.

you have a couple options.... the quick and dirty way (which works for exteriors more than interiors) would be to make your diffuse channel white and then pull your refraction value away from pure white equaling how much you want to balance between white and transparency.

more realistic approach would be to turn the fog color of the material to white and then play with your IOR and fog values.

The first option will render faster the second option will look better. Speacially if you are viewing from a close distance

Ky Lane: I have been to that site quite a few times, even posted some materials to share. I tried the "White Glass" shader that was provided by a fellow member on there, but it rendered almost clear.

hhoa_kts: I'll try the material that you provided.....Thanks

I'm still open for suggestions just in case.

Indeed I did, but it takes a year and a day to render out one window. I might try to tweak his settings a bit in order for it to render quicker. Thanks for the reply. To be honest, that material is the best one that I found thus far for what I want the window to look like, but the render time is crucial.