New CGarchitect.com Job Board Just Opened!

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

I just wanted to let everyone know that our job board is finally live! I'm pretty pumped as it will be a huge benefit to everyone with all of the new features. You can get to the job board here:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/jobs/

Here is a list of just a few features:

Jobseekers (Individual/Freelancers and Companies)

- Ability to post your resumes along with images so employers can find you!

- Fully Featured Online Resume Builder

- Ability to apply for jobs online

- New Job search agents: Specify the kind of job you are looking for and we will email you when a matching job is posted.

- Advanced Job searches

- Track your job applications and save your favorite jobs

Employers

- Post jobs to the #1 online job board for architectural visualization professionals

- Search through pre-screened resumes for candidates matching your criteria

- Save and rank candidates for each job

- List your company profile along with all of your available jobs

- Track applications for each of your jobs

- Email notifications when resumes are posted that match your search criteria

Looking for Freelancers?

Post your job on the job board or search through the resumes that are posted in the job database.

Feedback and Comment welcome.

Enjoy!

• Administrators
it's a great new step but all the previous job posts are gone...employers need to repost? isn't there a way to import those?

Emails have gone out to all of the previous job posters to repost. Next week you should see some of them re-appear again.

if you did post a job on the site previously, do you now have to pay the $100 fee?

Why are you charging for the service , if you don't mind me asking ,dose it not bring more people to your site without now adding a fee.

Sorry Jeff, I get a bit Pis*ed off with everybody getting greedy these days , you get nothing for free anymore, everybody wants make money, sad state of affairs really.

come to ireland and see a rip off coulture in full swing.

phil

Phillip,

Just my 2 cents. From the looks of it, the job board took hundreds of man hours to put together and will take countless man hours to maintain. This is what Jeff does. How would anybody be able to build and maintain such a site without compensation. It would be like you providing 3D renderings for free. Many 3D websites have come and gone and the main reason for their failure is the inability to generate income. Advertising dollars are not easy to get and people don't line up to pay for it. The site has to maintain a decent cash flow somehow. Personally, I've been telling Jeff for a long time that eventually, when the time is right, he should charge a small yearly membership fee. That would piss off a lot of members I'm sure, but if the site is to ever really grow, expand, improve and bring more viable content for all of us, it ain't going to happen for free. Advertising dollars only go so far. Just my humble opinion.

• Administrators
if you did post a job on the site previously, do you now have to pay the $100 fee?

Why are you charging for the service , if you don't mind me asking ,dose it not bring more people to your site without now adding a fee.

Sorry Jeff, I get a bit Pis*ed off with everybody getting greedy these days , you get nothing for free anymore, everybody wants make money, sad state of affairs really.

come to ireland and see a rip off coulture in full swing.

phil

Hi Phil,

Those who had jobs on the board are getting a 50% off discount to re-post right now. They were all emailed on Friday. But yes the base fee is $100/mo for jobs

The old job board was grossly under featured and was a disaster in how it worked. So for the last 6 months 2 developers have been working almost full time to program the new site. This ain't free, I can assure you, and I've probably put in many hundreds of hours in myself testing, and creating the specs for the job board. So posting jobs is no longer free, just like your renderings aren't free. Job seekers don't pay anything and now have the ability to post their resumes and have a TON of features to find jobs now. Charging $100 to an employer who is going to pay someone at least $30,000 a year is hardly unreasonable . Even those who use the job board for finding freelancers for one project, I don't think $100 is unreasonable either. In fact any of the major job sites will charge you $500-600 for the exact same thing and MUCH less targetted.

Greedy? Well if you call wanting to earn a living greedy then yes, I guess I am. If you call wanting to generate more revenue for CGA, so I can maybe one day hire someone full time for the site, then yes, guilty on that one too.

Don't forget, all of the news we post is free, the galleries we post are free, the forums are free, all of the job postings for job seekers are free, reviews, articles all free.....so charging a service to a company is hardly what I would call unfair.

I'd welcome anyone who thinks charging for this service if unfair to prove that I'm being unjust. All you have to do is take over for me for one month. I bet you would change your tune.

Sorry I just get a bit pissed when people think that hours I've put in over the last 5+ years on this site should not allow we to earn a living. Anyone that knows me well, knows how many hours I put in the site and what I have contributed to the industry.

Jeoff

My sincerest appologies.

You are right, I read your post, and I know you have put your heart and soul in to the site, it's obious.

I recently wanted to post a job for a 3D person here in dublin ireland, on Royal Irish architects website , and was quoted 400 euros plus vat.

So $100 is not, a lot I agree.

You get nothin for nothin as the old saying goes.

Again, appologies.

Are you still doing 3D work , as well as the other website and web maintanance?

When I need to go and look for a job, i will e very gratefull to you and all the work you did.

phil

Are you still doing 3D work , as well as the other website and web maintanance?

phil

i dont think he has time for that nonsence any more these days :p , but yeah, i been rallying for the big JM to take more time to crit and even posting images like he used to :)

come allong Jeff, appart from being a good artist yourself i'm sure we'd all love to see you get involved with the bones of image posting and critting once again. I'm sure structured crits from urself would be a great inspiration to allot of learning members here :)

ok i posted my availability online at The Job board

but my work portfolio consists of what i have done at work for-hire lately

so i dont Think i could or should post work with (This aint going To happen)

or without The clients prior written permission

does There need To be a disclaimer of copyright

??

if a person is posting up work done That was done for clients?

not sure about This copyright issue, so i didnt upload nothing

ok

somebody contact me asap

Thanks

Randy

• Administrators
Jeff

Did you intend for the site to be seamless to cgarchitect? I just clicked to review posted resumes (to see if anyone had posted any yet) and got a big red error message that I needed to sign in. It didn't read my CGA cookie, obviously. Is that intentional, or just a bug to squash?

Hey Ernest,

Yeah it's a completely seperate site and requires a seperate login and registration. Trying to tie it all together is a HUGE HUGE undertaking.

One thing I noticed is that when you view images from your portfolio a window opens that is really small. I cannot resize it or maximize it I have to pan inside of the window to view the image. And the thumbnails come in really squashed.

I know Jeff all we do is whine. ;)

• Administrators
One thing I noticed is that when you view images from your portfolio a window opens that is really small. I cannot resize it or maximize it I have to pan inside of the window to view the image. And the thumbnails come in really squashed.

I know Jeff all we do is whine. ;)

I'll report this to our developer. Thanks.

• Administrators
So do you EVER miss it?

On occasion, but not usually. Let's see what was it I did not like about it again:

1. Pain in the ass clients

2. Too many all nighters

3. Contantly fighting with the hardware

4. Contantly fighter with the software

5. Last minute changes

6. Constant high pressure deadlines

I could go on.... LOL. Really the only part I do miss is trying out new stuff and learning new techniques and technologies, the rest I could do without. Ten years was enough for me. I got my experience and now it's time to move on...thus my move to become high profile paper pusher. :p

move to become high profile paper pusher. :p

.. in a parerless world :cool:

awesome new addition/site to the arch community, thanx Jeff.

Jeff, just one tiny thing that bugs me is that once one added info under the 'job seeker' section, and viewing it later i.e. under the 'my resumes' that it's difficult to distinguish between titles and information i.e. 'Start Date: Jan 2003'. Maybe you can bold the titles. :)