Photoshop, Illustrator, Video Editing Video Card?/

Hey guys, I don't know much about the video cards for rendering in Photoshop, Illustrator and video editing (adobe Premiere)... I hear the quattro cards and fireGL cards are what i'm looking for.. Just wondering how they will perform using these programs in regards to a gaming card...I run a small marketing/advertising business with graphic design (in photoshop/illustrator) and am just wondering if switching to a quattro or fireGL card will boost my performence in these programs, and also i was just wondering how much i would be spending for these cards... i dont' use any heavy duty 3d modeling software like maya or 3DS..just photoshop and illustrator and premiere...

thanks for the help!

Hello there!

Good news for you: as far as I know, you won't need such an expensive video card for that purpose... but RAM and a powerful processor and massive storage ( infinite layers, instant video encoding and endless movies... ;) ), so an recent midrange videocard seems to be enough ( Mac pro start with GeForce 7300 I reckon...) so, if I were you, 250 euros (nearly the same in dollars) would be enough.

Huh? He's talking about 2D work. OpenGL performance won't be a factor at all, not even DirectX... all recent cards have such high 2D performance that it's hard to tell them apart, so a Quadro or FireGL would be a waste.

Nick: I think you're confusing video card functions with CPU functions. Making some complicated effect happen in Photoshop or Illustrator, or rendering out a video from Premiere, rely on CPU speed and RAM, not video card. If you have a video card made in the last few years that is not a "TurboCache", "HyperMemory" or "Shared Memory" model, don't worry about the video card (but if it is one of those things, replace it with a midrange Radeon or Geforce card that isn't) and look at you RAM usage while the computer does complex tasks. If you are running out of RAM, upgrading it will speed the processes. If you are not, and you're not infected with viruses, spyware or Norton Internet Security in "As Paranoid As Fox Mulder" mode, all you can really do is upgrade the CPU.

Thanks a lot guys for all your info... i wasn't sure if the video card was part of the rendering in these programs! I do have a decent video card ATI i will defenately look into upgrading my processor and Ram though!!

Thanks again everyone! :)