NL newsletter comments

buffos

Just one comment.

I was very suprised to read the newsletter from NL.

I kept reading, hopping to find out what new will be in Maxwell 1.x .

Unfortunately not a single word. Nothing.

They just announched the 64bit version and the universal mac version.

Ok to more versions of the same crap.

So after a year out the product hasnt evolved? There is nothing new to announce? Not a single feature? Isnt that dissapointing?

As for displacement map, reading the answer by tom at the forum, you could easily understand that we will not see it soon (so count 4-5 years )

And of course:

"The release of the first version of Maxwell Render was a revolution, but it was only the first step. The best is yet to come. Massive amounts of new ideas will make new revolutions and users are going to have so much fun in the future."

Riiiiiiightttt....

Meanwhile Fran, TPA, and David Davidson are posting some great new images that really show the promise of Fryrender. The 'revolution' is happening in an office across town from the revolutionaries!

10 or 12 months ago I was at peace with the idea that I had invested in MWR but the company could/would fail. Now, however, I'm bent out of shape over the thought that I spent good money on MWR only to watch Fry fry MWR's ass. 18+ months later and this is justice?

this is justice?

I guess we need to focus on what we want, and what we put our money down to get. It looks like we may still get it, but from another company at a later date and for an additional charge. But getting what we expected was certainly the goal, so perhaps we can see it all as a victory pretty soon. Over budget and deadline blown, but we can't say we aren't used to that in this field.

Over budget and deadline blown, but we can't say we aren't used to that in this field.

Yep.

The salt on the wound with Fry is that as a Mac jockey, I'm on the outside (AGAIN) looking in. The images over at Fry show it has potential.

There's the downside - looks like it's another Max-only plugin. For the price of a decent Windows box and a Max license, you could get enough additional computing power to really use Maxwell. At least with Maxwell, you get a lot of plugins, for what that's worth.

On the original subject - I wouldn't read too much into whatever's in these newsletters. From what Nicole said, it looks like they're going to be sent out weekly, and Nextlimit isn't a big enough company to have something interesting to say every week, so it's probably going to be mostly tips&tricks, staff interviews and other filler, with whatever they can possibly think of to announce - even when the only announceable items are small web site features and product updates that aren't going to exist any time soon.

There were some things about the news letter I liked but I thought the Real Flow section was kind of ridiculous since this was supposed to be a Maxwell news letter. This is probably NL's answer to continuing calls on the forum for information; I hope in the future releases we actually get some of that information.

I've checked out Fry, both their web site and their forum and there really is very little going on. I do see promise in some of the images but they don't seem to have a very large user base and their money shots although there nice aren't as nice as Maxwell. In my opinion the only thing they have going for them is speed, and if it turns out that it is significantly faster than Maxwell I think that will be enough for them to win this little race.

their money shots although there nice aren't as nice as Maxwell. In my opinion the only thing they have going for them is speed

Perhaps they also have credibility and ethics going for them. Maybe even a better product. I don't know, I haven't used it yet. But it won't be hard for these guys to out-gentleman NextLimit. So if the software is even close to being as good they win on points. If their product is better then its a rout.

The funny part is all that "thx for the info" posts on the Maxwell forum.

I cannot believe that there are people so dump. What info? What have you learned? What has happened after a year of silence? The 64-bit version? Are we joking? Ok bring the solaris version too. And an amiga. and a ZX spectrum one. :)

If you did read the newsletter carefully, you should expect almost ZERO new features. Read the part that says "updates in the workflow and networking". Not a single word about the missing features .

How can they say thx for the info... please explain :)

• 2 weeks later...
....What has happened after a year of silence? The 64-bit version? Are we joking? Ok bring the solaris version too. And an amiga. and a ZX spectrum one. :)...

buffos, you seem to have lost any sense of time... the last 1.1 release of maxwell was just 3 months ago! ...year of silence? maybe did i miss something? :rolleyes:

First , yes i am happy with the archicad plugin release (i have not tested it yet though).

Second markus. They could have release 200 releases each one fixing one bug. So what? What new did v1.1 bring?hmmm hard to find eeh? pack and go!! oh great... a 20sec programming feature....

We have bought the program 2 years ago. Back then the release was supposed to be 3 months away. 2 years later a dosen of features are missing. Did you see a step closing the gap? Some of the missing features are in v1.1 and i missed them?

I have not lost sense of time. On the contrary. I think the time we will se a complete (as promised version) is far away, and i dont know if its a free step (i can bet it would not be)