Figuring out Gi in C4D

chalk

Hi all, this is my first post here. Great place! I spend most of my time pestering people about archviz tips on other forums and now ive found a place completely dedicated to it. Great stuff! :)

Heres an image im working out. It started as an empty room purely for testing lighting setups and now im starting to slowly add a few bits - the modeling is still a bit shakey and theres not much detail at the moment. Comments and ideas all welcome, specially on the lighting and realism factor at the moment.

Are there any other C4D users out there? I've seen some amazing stuff done in Vray which almost made me question my desicion to go with C4D but i've recently seen some masterpieces done in this programme which has given me more faith :) All i need to do now is figure out how to get good results - lighting is a constant battle of mine!

Chalk

nice start Karl. yup, loadsa c4d users here :) lighting is a constant battle for everyone. makes or breaks an image.

vray is an awesome radiosity renderer, with much better usability, but a good artist can make the AR just as good as vray imo. i'm not going to jump ship any time soon :)

for beginners your lighting isn't too shabby. you wouldn't see any blue on the walls or ceiling, so you might want to turn the wall/ceiling's material saturation levels down, or turn the blue luminance down.

also, i pressume your diffuse depth is 3 or 2? (your immediate radiosity effect looks this way - too much) try a dd of 1, and if it doesn't look bright enough try compensating with infil lights or your gi emmitters (ie, sky). even in low lighting conditions i find a dd of 1 much more realistic. (dd of 1 speeds up rendering 200-300% too :) )

you might also want to try mixing a touch of ambient occlusion into your work flow. it's simple to use and really lifts the gi in most cases.

Cheers for the comments. I'm currently messing around with a few of the things you suggested so see how it goes. I've got the ambient Occlusion plugin for c4d 9 now as well so i'll have to figure out how to use that now :@)

I don't think Vray is a radiosity renderer, I always thought that it used the Monte Carlo method, if it were a radiosty renderer, it would be view independent...

Can you tell me what you mean by the Monte Carlo method and what does view independent mean?

thanks.

Lee

..... so i must be a Noob as well, titled this thread about GI but im using the Radiosity from C4d's Advanced Render... i thought they were all the same thing to be honest :/

Just been checking out your site as well STRAT, some very nice stuff there! I'll defo be quizzing you and how you got a few of those nice lighting effects :)

Have a look at mine as well if you like - http://www.k3-d.co.uk - which is my own Archviz company i setup - Some of the older things i did are a bit crap so ignore them :@)

I think that Cinema, as well as much of the CG world, uses the terms interchangeably and not entirely correctly. Radiosity is in fact one method of calculating global illumination for a scene. In fact, I don't think Cinema has ever used this technique, but rather a kind of photon mapping. In a recent release (R9? R9.5?) they changed the name of the tab in the Render Settings from Radiosity to Global Illumination, for accuracy's sake I imagine.

Jack

I've managed to have another mess around with the scene, tried adding and array of lights and toning down a few things. It's seems to me that some of the furniture is floating a bit though, the array of lights has soft shadows on.

A few little touches like making the curtains hang in a more natural way would probably help as well. and maybe some more bits'n'pieces althought my minds gone blank on what else to add. Any suggestions? and comments?