RPC xref problem.

Tommy L

Apologies if this is answered already, i searched but couldnt find it:

I am xreff-ing alot of rpc trees into a scene (max8) but there is a problem. When i change camera, the trees all look billboarded and are seen from the wrong view. I have attached an image of the problem. The two illustrations are region renders from different cameras. I tried changing all the settings in the 'mass edit' panel of the rpc modify panel, but nothing seems to help.

Answers very much appreciated.

Tom.

EDIT: forgot to mention, when i reload the x-ref then the trees align themselves to the current view. But i need to animate this file.

Yes they are copied, rather than instanced. However, i have opened an old file where we xreffed the rpcs. There was no problem in that job, i wonder if i have a preference/setting different in max? I really do need to get this fixed and dont know how. So any other ideas would be great. Otherwise i may just set up a matte file for the rpcs and comp them afterwards....

Tom,

if your rendering an animation using backburner, won't the xrefed file be reloaded for each scene / frame during the setup process etc. as such won't the RPCs then align themselves correctly.....???????

As you say, when you change camera views and have the problem with billboarding its always in the same file - the xref is only loaded upon opening the file and then by manually telling it to reload etc.

may be worth sending a short sequence thro backburner to see what happens.

James

Hell james, good to hear youre still alive mate, I dont think that will work. The file geometry is loaded into backburner as a comlete mesh(i think) at the beginning of the run. I dont think the xrefs are re-loaded. I may be wrong tho, ill give it a bash.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out im going a bit more conceptual on that file (the latest post in the 'chicago animation' thread in WIP section) so ive eilminated the RPCS for the time-being, but the problem was never solved. I compared it to another file where there was no problem and could find no difference. Just a weird one i guess.