memory?

mskin

thats hard to say. I tried to render four times and it wouldn't go, then, upon your comment i tried to render with the task manager open and its going no. go figure, but its been pretty close to the top a couple of times. will increasing my VM help do you think?

I am using Final Gather and Global Ill. Not sure of Polycount, but 320661 Vertices and 460361 faces. My machine has 1G of physical ram. Looking at the performance Portion of the Task Manager, mem usage was at 1,500,000k when i got the the error last time, it has been upwards of 1,800,000k and not crashed. The magic switch seams to be samples per inch. 1,4 works - 4,16 crashes. I really need 4,16 on this render. render resolution is 2046x1556.

I am also network rendering with this one. i don't know if that plays in at all.

right now, prior to render.... 247,900k available. max using 145,000k

Look for other processes using a lot RAM and quit the programs. You've got 1 gig but only 400mb to go to Max. I think you just ran out memory. Photon mapping eats RAM.

Can you upgrade to 2 gigs? It would save you some time and hassle.

Sounds like you're going just a bit over, maybe if you didn't have the "Rendered Frame Window" option and instead just rendered straight to a file...

Guys, i really appreciate your help. I brought this home tonight. Started with a back up file from yesterday and recreated my scene. rendered it at home and everything is chugging along. Its weird, i only have 700m of ram at home, 1 gig at work. Maybe something funky with the file? Maybe a problom with the network render? maybe something with the machine at work (lots of extra processes runnung)? I put in for an extra gig of ram though and hope to get that in the next couple of days. am interested to see if this scene renders ok at work tommorow. If this a large size for a 3d project (am relative noobie), all my projects seam to end up in this size range with the addition of entourage. i am learning to be careful with poly counts of objects, but the files still seam to explode with my cars and trees. will keep you updated and thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

check the space on Your hard disk for swap file...

it looks like a full disk and no space for virtual memmory...

if You want to play with mental ray buy next GB of ram... its realy important for stable work...

You will see when will You put something bigger...

will be crash all the time...

create the swap file 4 times bigger than Your ram size...

Hi all,

Memory is SERIOUS in MR. It means: you control MR by controlling the memory. One can have extremely fast results when memory use is optimized.

From what I've read in your post, there can be MANY reasons:

try adjusting the following things:

- saving FGMaps and re-using it

- same as before, but with FGM and IDonly (ideal diffuse)

- downscale your maps (!)

- adjust your BSP tree

- turn of the VFB (now called RFW)

- put more memory in your machine

- maximize your swap space (min ànd max: 4096)

- get rid of unused stuff: Xrefs, maps, vertices, your bed,...

rgds,

nisus