Tips for boosting Vray rendering

estyl

Hi,

I made a research concerning "how to make the Vray rendering faster", I've read some interesting advices but always a little bit tricky to find them.

It could be interesting to regroup some tips from advanced user’s experience, about how they setup Vray for faster rendering and by the same way keeping an acceptable level of quality.

In fact what are the mistakes that a new user should avoid when he's rendering.

Great thanks to all of you.

There are many ways to slow a vray render down considerably.

glossy materials with high subdivision values

using 3d displacement instead of 2d displacement (or using displacement at all ;) )

using very bright materials when rendering with gi

increasing the number of light bounces

Those are just a few that I can think of. I think you're going to find that it will be dificult to find optimum settings because every scene is different. Materials have a large effect on rendering times. To make it look realistic displacement and glossy reflections are usually required which add to the rendering time.

A good thing to try with glossy reflections is to use light cache for the second bounce and check the use light cache for glossies box. Sometimes the quality of the reflection is bad if it's too close to the camera but usually it's ok. That will save alot of time when rendering.

This is all coming from a beginner. I've only used vray for 4 months.

One tip for getting glossy highlights faster is the uncheck "Trace reflections" in the material options panel. Especially for smaller objects, like window mullions, you still can get the highlight effect that makes the material pop without wasting CPU time on calculating out reflections that likely won't make much visible difference.

Good tips so far!

Shaun

use v-ray proxies for creating trees. Import one into the scene - right click and choose v-ray mesh export. Then check the box that says "create automatic proxies", that will leave your tree in the scene as a proxie. Then copy as many as you like (instance only). These will render faster.

Great thread!

There are lots of such tricks that may bring down thr rendering time for vray. a lot also depends on the scene setup. specially when you are making a walkthrough, what settings you used for calcutaing the LC and IR also governs the final rendering time. its interesting all the fascinating thing vray can do and user can do with vray.

Some points, in materials, keeping the Refl. Glossiness closer to 1.0 keeps the rendering time good, lowering them (for making blurry reflections) increases the calcutation time. Noise Threshold under QMC Sampler can be kept at 0.05 for most scenes. making them 0.005 or more closer to 0.0 will substancially increases the rendering time.

i dont think proxies render faster .... they help you conserve memory but according to some tests , proxies were a bit slower than geomentry itself

I thought so also, so I did a test, and they actually did render faster, it was a small test, unfortunatly I can't compare it with 5 billion polys, cause they just won't render unless they are proxies...

• 1 year later...

There's a curve to efficiancy when using proxies. In some cases the proxies will be slower in others faster. It really depneds on a number of factors. I've found that they are a better choice for animations as the few seconds they save will add up when multiplied by the number of frames rendered. 20 seconds on an image no big deal, 20 seconds X 1800 frames = you get to sleep tonight ;)

• 3 years later...