Antialias in matte render-element of reflective material - 3ds Max 8

Tom Hamelrijckx

Hello, in a 3ds Max 8 scene I use a matte render-element of every material (about seven), and one of them is highly reflective. This makes the matte of other materials white in the area of the reflective material as well (since those materials are visible in the reflection). Now I get the reflection in the final output nicely antialiased with the raytracer, but it doesn't seem to work in the matte render-elements, where the image keeps being jagged. Anybody has experienced this?

Thanks!

1=final output

2=reflection

3=matte material 1 (jaggies on the right)

4=matte material 2 (jaggies on the right)

I guess I didn't explain that quite clearly...

Anyone uses the Matte Render-Element and/or psd manager with G-buffer material ID's? The result can be used as a mask in Photoshop to apply changes on only that material. (the two last pictures above)

As you can see, a material which can be seen in a reflection will have it's G-buffer output white in the area of the reflection as well, although not antialiased, which is pretty unusefull. Somebody can give that a try to help me solve this? I would appreciate it,

Thanks,

Tom

Here is what the psd-manager help file says about this:

Some 3ds max materials (e.g. Raytrace material) are able to reflect and refract the Material-ID. This allows you to adjust even the reflection of a material in Photoshop. The 3dsmax G-Buffer does not support antialiasing between Material-IDs on the same object. This may cause jagged edges on the produced layers/channels if objects use multiple materials with different Material-IDs.

So this is a general 3ds-max limitation that you are experiencing that shows up in Matte render elements and also in psd-manager.

A workaround is to achieve the desired result is to modify the materials in the scene (apply a total black material to all objects, a white self-illuminated material to objects that should be visible, and a 100% reflective material to the miror) and then render the scene wih all lights turned off.

Daniel

Hey Daniel, thanks for closing that case. I was looking everywhere, except in the help-file.

But ain't that a pitty? From the moment on that one uses a reflective material and the material-ID's in psd-manager, that functionality looses it's purpose.

But the self-ilumination and black material technique is fortunately another option (though one should better not have too much materials in it's scene)

Thanks again...