Video Performance - Workstation vs Remote Desktop

• Administrators

I often switch between working on my workstation (dual monitor) and accessing my workstation on my laptop via remote desktop. I find that that while I'm on the desktop itself video performace can get quite sluggish just minimizing and maximzing windows and switching between applications. Outlook and IE can be quite bad at times, locking up for minutes at a time. When I access those same applications on my laptop via remote desktop there is no lag and performance is quite good. (3D and video the exception for obvious reasons)

My question is if anyone knows that parts of the OS and/or video cards are different between the two that could be causing this. It strikes me that there must be something on my workstation I need to tweak.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hey Jeff!

Whats the system config we're dealing with here? What remote system are you using?

Many vnc programs disable alot of windows features when remoting in, which you can do locally as well. Could also be that any speedup on the remote end is being compensated by the fact it's "lagged" slightly. ie you notice the slowdown locally because its instant, but when you add a slightly delay to everything, it seems sped up remotely.

• Administrators

Hey Greg,

I'm using a GeForce 4400 in my desktop (remenants of when I used to do production) and a Toshiba 5100 laptop. I am using Windows Remote Desktop.

As far as a delay, on some things yes there is that slight delay, but the outright lockups that are happening with IE7 and Outlook and the really sluggish minimizing and maximizging of windows is gone completely.

Jeff,

I assume you ran the general cleaners, like ccleaner, adaware, etc. How old is the install on the desktop?

Generally when things are hesitating, or taking awhile to process, that indicates some sort of issue, either spyware or hardware related. However I can't quite figure why it wouldn't be happening remotely. If anything, it should be exaggerated while remotely connected.