Need People

Devin Johnston

I've been told that I'm going to be doing some renderings and possibly animations for a proposed soccer stadium. The client want's to see people on the field playing soccer. I'm using Max 7 right now but I have Max 9 waiting in the wings in case I need it. The problem is I'm not an animator and I can't really find any content like RPC or AXYZ Design that would work for this project. So I'm looking at Poser but I know very little about it and I can't tell if it would be able to do what I need it to do which is give me soccer players for both stills and animations. I need some advice on whether I can use this program efficiently with 3D Studio to create animated characters and I've only got about two weeks to learn how to do it.

I'm not an animator

Right. Hire one. I've done that and it worked out nicely, though getting simple 3D models to move like real people is extremely hard, and you and your client will probably be a little disappointed in the results, even though your sub will do a top-notch job.

Also, your stands will have fans, and they will move too, if there's a game on.

Maybe I'd do it like this, take clips of some aerial views in a soccer game and use camera match to paste it into a model.

I'm thinking you could use after effects to crop the field and make a matte, blacking out everything except the field and the players which you could then map onto a poly representing the pitch.

Your camera angles would be constrained to the angles of the movie image.

Perhaps computer game footage would work well, as I know that some games allow you to set up specific angles for replays.

I wouldn't attempt character animation because even if you do it really well, it takes a great deal of time and probably cash too.

I've only got about two weeks

Nightmare alert!

You need to figure out a way to represent this stuff without trying to be realistic. I suggest sound. Hear the game, don't show it. Maybe mix in stills of close-ups of players, team details (meaning available photos), shots of graphics, team colors. Just not two teams animated to play a corner kick. Maybe have a soccer ball bounce and roll through the project as your 'leader object'.

I like your last idea best Ernest, which would work really well.

What about creating my own RPC's, I know there is an application that allows you to build your own RPC people but I've never used it. I could get by with just having still shots of people but I'm not sure how hard it would be to take the pictures, anyone got any ideas on this?

Yeah, this is all about presentation, if you put to much players on the pitch it will distract from what you really want to show, and that is the stadium.

Why not start with the extrerior and have sound of a game thats going on inside! Then as a goal is being kicked, go into bullet mode where you start to speed up and fly through to the inside of the stadium and onto the pitch, have some rpcs of soccer players, but only in grey and in blur motion and start moving to the goal posts, here you see a model of a goalie diving in the air and the ball passing into the net, as you reach the ball, exit bullet mode, only the hands pass infront of the camera and a goal is scored, move over the post and start looking up and then focus on the big screen if there is one.

just some idea.

check out what the guys from INDG did

http://www.indg.nl/index.php?p=architecture