Acrobat 3D Test

oluv

I installed Acrobat3d tryout lately to play a bit with it and check the possibilites, and this is what i came up with (2,2 mb):

http://homepage.boku.ac.at/h9526506/3d/atelier23.pdf

It is a concept from an architect friend he did for his own house. I got some 3D-Data from him, but had to build most of the stuff from scratch, because the data was quite messed up. As my final geometry became quite clean, without overlapping polys etc. i decided to make a 3D-Model out of it. First i wanted to try it in Quest3d, but didn't have enough time to work with it, and as i wanted a quick result, i thought 3D PDF could be a solution.

I made the model quite simple and baked a skylight so that it had this typical "plastic-model" look.

I was surprised how easy it was to import the data into Acrobat Toolkit and export it to PDF later on. Although the toolkit which is based on Deep Exploration supports multiple UV sets and even multitexturing, it doesn't seem to be exported to PDF, at least i didn't manage. The only thing i got to work was an own reflection map, which you can see in the windows. You simply drag a texture in the reflection-slot, and you can even modulate it with a diffuse texture, as you can see in the car.

Other than that nothing fancy. Most of the interactivity can be managed through Javascript, but as i have no clue about it, i was not able to include anything. But you could build buttons that switch some settings, or change materials etc.

To a certain point 3D PDF seems to be navigable quite quickly, only with bigger and more complex models it becomes sluggish. But as i read they managed Acrobat8 to be even faster.

For demonstration of simple models 3D PDF seems to be a nice solution, it also seems quicker than Flash-based of Java-stuff and such. Walk-like navigation is a bit clumsy though. You have to get used to it and there is no collision detection, but it could probably be programmed through javascript i guess.

I hope you like it!

Best regards, Olaf

• 7 months later...