highend 3d modeling nurbs on mac !

Paul@macbidouille

Hello !

I am writing you guys as we are facing a big impass. I am desperatly looking for a mature highend class A nurbs modeling tool on mac os x.

I am looking to someting similar to rhino but on a mac. I still have a ppc, so don't mention running rhino on parralels or bootcamp on a mactel please.

I am currently modeling with Maya and it seems to be very fun and solid. however when it comes to precise modeling, prototyping and producing construction drawings, I am getting frustrated and limited. Obviously I need a series of essential features :

- I basicly model organic shapes... involving circles, subdivision surfaces, nurbs and so on.

- a fully working DWG import... dwg import in maya 7 is not perfect. it makes some mistakes while importing circles... it s very annoying. In maya 8 it simply doesn't work. it is not supported anymore (unbelievable from autodesk !!!!). I tried Direct Connect 2.0.. it doesn 't work with my dwg files.. sorry

- I am working and on archicad. So I need a decent communication between the two programs. that's why I need a decent dwg import feature. another problem is the 3ds import plugin in archicad which seems to crash archicad when importing highres object into archicad. in the good old times of archicad 7, the obj import feature was magnificient ! where is the obj import feature ???

- I need a decent surface modeling nurbs tool. no polygon please.

- I tried Maya.... it limited when trying to get out a precise 3d nurbs model out of it... or someone explain me how they do it.

- an accurate unroll 3d surface tool like in rhino. i haven't found on e in maya yet. I need this badly !

- I tried Amapi.. but it seems like a toy. and it crashes when importing heavy dwg files. so that was stripped out of the list

- solidthinking looked very good... but the same problem happened.. importing heavy dwg files did not work :(

- cobalt. this was the most convincing software I tried... dwg import worked. but however it doesn't seem quite userfriendly. maybe someone can share their experience with it and surface modeling.. not solid modeling

- cinema 4d or maxon... no way... far away from what I need

- rhino is perfect.. as it perfectly imports my dwg... has unroll surface... trim, rounding, blending work like a charm... but it doesn't run on my g5 quad :( !!!!!

- a nurbs modeling tool with construction history would be very very cool !

I just can't believe I am the only one facing these limits... Can someone please help me in finding something productive. I am googling since weeks and days, and I haven't found any solution yet.

someone ?

thank you for answering.

paul

If Rhino is perfect, I suggest you use it, buy a cheap PC, I saw one at Office Depot for $499, it was A Lenovo, with an AMD X2 3800 a Gig of ram, and it even came with a 19" widescreen LCD monitor, how can you go wrong with that...I'm sure it will do fine for Modeling...

And before you say anything...

If I needed to use FCP or Shake, I'de buy a Mac, simple as that...

You have created your own impasse.

You know what the solution is - you identify it in your second sentence ( an Intel MacPro running Rhino in Bootcamp or Parallel) but you are wasting your time (and asking us to do the same!) chasing a different solution that probably does not exist.

Rather than buy a cheap PC, sell the G5 Quad, buy an Intel Mac so you can still run your old software on it, stick it on your credit card if you have to, and get on with it.

In the time you have spent arsing about, you could have been doing some proper work.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you can't expect others to find ways around blind alleys that you have created!

D.

Thanks for your comments guys....

I don't mind you guys being harsh. I was just synthetising the problem we have here at the office. Upgrading to Mactels will probably happen in the long term. That's for sure. Furhtermore, our policy at the office is to have everything running on mac os x. Our system administrator is afraid of Windows :-).

Nevermind that, I don't think I am asking for that much.

As I said, Ashlar Vellum Cobalt was the best software I tested. FormZ also was very close to it. Can someone just share their experiences in using these softwares while producing complex geometries and organic architecture.

Thnaks.

For what Cobalt costs, you can get Rhino and a high-end PC, or a Mactel, Windows and Rhino, and have enough left to bribe your IT guy. Seriously, IT works for you, not the other way around. If an IT policy like that is getting in the way of getting work done, the policy needs to change, or a workaround needs to be found. (Maybe thy buy you a laptop that does not go on the network and tell the IT guy it's not his problem.)

For what Cobalt costs, you can get Rhino and a high-end PC, or a Mactel, Windows and Rhino, and have enough left to bribe your IT guy. Seriously, IT works for you, not the other way around. If an IT policy like that is getting in the way of getting work done, the policy needs to change, or a workaround needs to be found. (Maybe thy buy you a laptop that does not go on the network and tell the IT guy it's not his problem.)

Excellent solution !!...lets not try and reinvent the wheel here, plus then you can take the laptop home to work on modeling...

I m sorry, but that is not a valid solution. I don't see our office switching to windows environment. And also we are 3-4 people in our office for 3d modeling... We are definitely staying with our macs on os x ! I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, I am just simply asking what other offices do, if not rhino, or catia. Anyone out there with some decent complex formz or cobalt experience in a production environment ?

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to sound obtuse...

But can I ask an obvious question though, you said there are 3-4 people modeling...what are they modeling with ?

You said that you were doing some modeling with Maya, and you said it seems to be "Fun and solid" well please tell me that your company didn't go out and buy 3-4 licences of Maya to do this kind of modeling...so back to my original question, what are they modeling with now ?

If you need accurate models, as you state, then you need cad software (Catia, Unigraphics, Alias Studio, Rhino, Inventor, Solidworks, etc), not DCC (Maya, Max, XSI, C4D, etc). Cad stuff is all PC-based, so that's your answer, unwelcome as it may be. If nPower comes out with Powernurbs for Maya on Mac, you may be OK, but don't hold your breath.

I wasn't suggesting switching - just adding one Windows PC to run one specific piece of software. A lot of companies do this - I've worked in Windows offices where a couple of graphic designers have Macs, and I know somebody who's a partner at a firm that uses Macs, he's so pro-Mac use that he's featured on Apple's web site, and he's got a couple 3D guys using Windows. It sounded like you wanted Rhino but the IT department was getting in your way.

Anyway, what I'm suggesting is that since what you really want is Rhino, you should have Rhino. (Where's Antisthenes when you need him?) I've got a Mac myself and I'd rather be using it than a Windows box, but to get the most productivity sometimes a Windows-only program is needed.

The only software I've used that does what Rhino does as well as Rhino does it is Alias Studiotools, and even that doesn't deal with DWG files as well as Rhino. Since you have Maya, and its NURBS modeiling isn't cuttin it for you - and of the all-purpose 3D programs, Maya's got the best NURBS system - then FormZ probably isn't going to cut it either. It's really more of a polygon modeler when it comes down to it, it doesn't have the kind of technology behind it that lets you do really advanced NURBS work. It sounds like you've found Cobalt works for you, so I'd suggest trying a prototype project in the demo. I'm not sure there are any Cobalt users on this forum, and there aren't even that many still using FormZ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MaxonForm is Cinema4D. You can do some kind of Nurbs and Subdivision surfaces, but not the full Curve/Surface control that comes with a program such as Rhino. But it integrates with ArchiCAD... unlike all other solutions. And yes, OBJ import was nice to have in ArchiCAD.

Is FormZ not meant for NURBS? I never liked it enough to try it in detail.

Have you tried Concepts?

http://www.csi-concepts.com

DCC software is indeed not what you need, although Maya is said to have a good NURBS implementation.

Maya also supports T-splines:

http://www.architosh.com/news/2005-09/2005c0914_tsplines1.html

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...