Max 9 Versus Max 8

jeandelessard

Ja it is quite a bummer, but this also helps people to stick with the times and upgrade to newer versions.

I had the same problem the other day, we just upgraded to Max 9 at work, so I modelled a product, and took full advantage of the new Pro Boolean function...which allows you to do a lot of booleaning without having your mesh freak out..but when it came down to material setup and rendering I realised that the version of Vray I had was not compatible with Max 9.

So I went the 3ds export route to get it back into Max 8 so I can use my Vray - and the results of the mesh was quite a let down, it completely freaked out everywhere I booleaned. Tssk, Tssk...

So in general I say avoid having to step back a version or 2...you really lose quality in your mesh.

Ahoi Koper,

Dankie vir die lekker warm verwelkoming . hehehe

Dis baie cool om te sien dat hier nog 'n afrikaanse bra is :) Maar jys in holland op die oomblik?

Sorry for going off topic guys, its just some pure buddy banter....its not everyday I encounter people on the internet that speak my home language.

This is the real beauty of Autodesk products.

They are working towards an eventual monopoly on 2d/3d software and to hell with everyone else.

I use ADT and trying to send engineers or contractors a drawing exported from 2007 is far from simple. Why they should spend a fortune upgrading to 2007 is a mystery when they would only actually use it to open drawings.

ADT 2007 also no longer exports to 3ds. Why? Because if you use only Autodesk products you have no need for 3ds files:"To hell with everyone else".

Yes they have and it all works brilliantly.

Unfortunately, one of my colleagues has spent almost a month of this year researching viewers and educating our consultants on how and when to use them.

After all that, we are still 'Exporting to Autocad' with the unpredictable results that yields so that they don't have to do their drawings from scratch.

Ja it is quite a bummer, but this also helps people to stick with the times and upgrade to newer versions.

I had the same problem the other day, we just upgraded to Max 9 at work, so I modelled a product, and took full advantage of the new Pro Boolean function...which allows you to do a lot of booleaning without having your mesh freak out..but when it came down to material setup and rendering I realised that the version of Vray I had was not compatible with Max 9.

So I went the 3ds export route to get it back into Max 8 so I can use my Vray - and the results of the mesh was quite a let down, it completely freaked out everywhere I booleaned. Tssk, Tssk...

So in general I say avoid having to step back a version or 2...you really lose quality in your mesh.

The update to Vray for Max9 is free if you already have the current release for Max 8. If that didn't work, ProBooleans was available to Max8 users on subscription as a free download so you could have only exported the base geometry and then performed the same boolean function in Max 8 instead.

When exporting geometry using 3ds or fbx it is also a good idea to convert everything down to an editable mesh and collapse the modifier stack to prevent freaky geometry.

I know it's too late for you but in case anyone else runs into a similar situation.

Yeah, this lack of backward save compatibility is incredibly obnoxious - I figure they just want everybody to buy upgrades or subscriptions, but what with the Max8 plugins not working in Max9 it's a giant pain even if you do upgrade.

Did you want to run Vray from Max8 because of the changes from 1.47 to 1.5? It's probably worth it to update Vray anyway - they've made a ton of improvements. Otherwise, FBX is probably your best option for transferring files.

• 3 weeks later...

could you downgrade to 2006?

I do all I can to avoid autodesk and adobe. and I have done quite well

if I say anything further this one Dutch mod quizzy will censor me so, as he has done many times so far, I hold my tongue and await your PM if you are interested to discuss other options than autodesk/adobe witch seems to be a topic that will get your posts deleted here and yourself threatened.

backwards compatibility and interpolarity are key I can't believe the lies marketers/recruiters spout to get sales and trap people into the only "1 way"

have you ever heard the Zapatista saying "one no, many Yeses" ? it is to say no to the one yes that only allows you one way and gives no choice.

many no's to stuff like NAFTA trade agreements , stuff I am sure autodesk operates on to also force there mediocre product down working peoples throughts by the well to do and wealthy bosses.

the parallels are therefore drawn

software libre & independent vs. proprietary commercial

absolutist Super(with their own interpretation enforcement of rules w/o dialogue in privileged group think and a heart of thorns to reprent the dogma of god) quizzy

relativist Bright (with creative process thinking a naturalistic ethic and agnosticism) me

Dude, please, chill.

This is clearly somebody who already owns some Autodesk software, is having trouble with it and maybe people here know how to help.

Off-topic posts are removed for a reason - they are not helpful, and sometimes they are distracting or, dare I say, trolls.

well.... back on-topic.. have you tried the Bobo's File Format or Back From Five script?? written by borislav petrov.. Works very well for downwards compatibility. I found that if you have really large models 2 million poly's and up you might to break the scene parts.

But the other suggestions are good too, FBX, 3ds etc...

@antisthenes: Still didn't read the rules??

Regards,

Super godlike mega moderator,

quizzy

*yawn*

we can all come away winners (less autodesk) if we don't name call(dehumanize, prime with out the E, fight law of math) ,AJ or abuse our power, quizzy.

I am interested in those scripts too because I am more and more each day running into compatibility issues from max and autocad. Is there also a autocad 2007 downgrade script?

got any links?

the perfect solution being to upgrade always and to have all versions installed that you will ever need to use because that's what your consultants and clients use.

You still don't get it which must mean you aren't listening. The problem isn't that you aren't welcome to share your opinion of Autodesk or Adobe. The problem is you are OFF TOPIC! This is a thread about how to work around something INSIDE max.

You clearly have strong convictions for the little mans cause in the evil world of big buisness AEC software. Now, I'm not suggesting you stop "fighting the good fight" but as Che Guevara once said: "Silence is arguement carried out by other means."

I'm not name calling, but I could start if it would make you feel better about flaming us for enforcing the rules (or just reminding that they exist). What do "prime with out the E" and "fight law of math" mean?

As far as downgrading - you can install both versions at the same time and have 2007 "save as" your files to 2004 format (which is what 2006 uses) and 2007 has an option under Tools -> Options -> Open and Save tab to change the default save format to 2004. This is in Autocad - I don't have access to ADT 2007 so I'm not sure how this would affect AEC content. I'd suggest working in some version other than 2006 whenever possible, because in my experience 2006 is the buggiest of the recent versions - I've had problems with 2006 crashing, but never with 2004, 5 or 7. (Hopefully after my current project goes out, I'll be able to move on to Revit...)

well.... back on topic....

lets not turn this into a backwards comp issue for acad or ADT, in my knowledge acad was allways able to down-save..

Max on the other hand was never able to this, I gues its a choice autodesk made for a purpose. and not for a commercial one...

@anti-everything: I dont abuse power, if I would, I would have just banned you... But frankly you're still too much fun to have around.

@anti-everything: I dont abuse power, if I would, I would have just banned you... But frankly you're still too much fun to have around.

I can't help feeling this forum just keeps getting more and more like CGTalk.

Can't you just ignore posts like the ones above or privately warn/ban etc? I don't know the history here but tit-for-tat retaliation is tiresome and doesn't keep things on topic. Just my (increasingly jaded) opinion.

You still don't get it which must mean you aren't listening. The problem isn't that you aren't welcome to share your opinion of Autodesk or Adobe. The problem is you are OFF TOPIC! This is a thread about how to work around something INSIDE max.

You clearly have strong convictions for the little mans cause in the evil world of big buisness AEC software. Now, I'm not suggesting you stop "fighting the good fight" but as Che Guevara once said: "Silence is arguement carried out by other means."

:) ya but you misread, there is NO evil. POOF it was made up.

so about those scripts to make max downgrades do they work well?

also yes autocad does have problems 2007 files cause a multitude of problems in any other version.

fun is good for you, it's good for me.