Jagged edges

Billabong

I have been trying to reid of these jagged edges for 2 days now and nothing I do seems to work, I have used both Adaptive and qmc, iVe tried Catmull, Area, Blacken, and Mitchell, Ive taken my samples from 2/8, 8/16, 1/100, ive checked sub-pixel mapping, clamp output,Ive even taken my shadow subd. up to 24 nothing i do seems to work, I could really use some help on this please

This is completely an antialiasing issue, not a vray issue. If you were to go into photoshop and cut a black diamond shape selection out of a white background, you will notice this same effect, even when using antialiasing. It is the image's inability to define the transition from one extreme color to another over such as small number of pixels. The only thing that can remove this, is blurring of the pixels in question. The only thing that really controls this directly is antialiasing. Unfortunately, every image is going to have this effect, though often not as stark as yours. As an example of how this works, try moving the camera ever so slightly in any direction and i'll bet you'll get the same effect, but in completely different areas of the scene that currently don't show it so much now. Really the only thing you can do is supersample, and the best way i can suggest (as Rick elluded to), is to render high res and convert down. And before doing so, i would definitely switch to the area filter (if rendering 1000+pixels) and even the video filter (if rendering at 2000+). These filters will blur the pixels before the image gets converted down, but when the image is converted down, you wont even notice this blurring...it will look at sharp as Catmull-Rom does at low res.

Hope it helps.

@nicnic,LOL for some reason I was at a loss when it came to making these labels.

@Brian,I used Mitchell for the render, since this actually worked,im gonna rerender this with a few different settings and render my AO pass as well, this should come out quite nicely, by the way, this is my first interior in max, All Ive ever done is product modeling and a bathroom, but all my past renders were done in Cinema 4D, so Im fairly happy with it so far,here is the original and the resized hi res

Original

attachment.php?attachmentid=17810&stc=1&d=1166672874

Hi-Res,resized

attachment.php?attachmentid=17812&stc=1&d=1166672983

Nice work my man.

Tell me, in the second render did you change your lighting at all, because its not the same in the 2 renders, or is it the different filter that caused that.

IMHO the first render looks nicer, even with the jagged edges, your lighting just looks more natural. Maybe try using the same filter you did in the beginning, but at high res. Would this work?

Brandon,

I hate to say it but i think i'm inclined to agree with Piet. Although changing the filter definitely changes the smoothing of surrounding pixels, i would be surprise if the effect is so far reaching as your rendering shows. I would that it's more likely the result of not reducing your IR map resolution (ie using the same preset for both resolutions). If that's not the case i'd like to know everything you may have changed that could have caused such dramatic smoothing.

you know I think that had to do with subdivisions of the light cache. the orignal was 3000, the other was a 1000, thats the only thing i can think of, the filters are the same,

I was looking at the settings , the other things i changed were the HSP subd. They were at 80, i dropped them to 60 and the interp samples from 40 to 30 and the bright multiplier in the color mapping was at 1.2, i took it to 1.4, Im also inclined to agree that i like the original better

On a different note, one thing i have noticed is that Vray is a cpu hog

I just realised what gave me the more brightness in the original render. My AO pass was on that one. As soon as I added the AO the hi-res one, it looked exactly the same. Ill post in the gallery once everythings done, I coul duse all the commenst i could get. thanks again guys

Just a little explanation of the edge issue. It is an artifact of the high color range combined with sharpening filters. You will see that areas like the black outline around the highlights on the lamp, have negative color values. This is not as much a Vray issue as it is an issue with image filtering. The best way to fix it is to use a non-sharpening filter such as soften with a low value like 2 or 3, or something like the VrayLanczosFilter (which is what I prefer).

Thank you Christopher, Ive decided once again to rerender it,after I add a few more details.

By the way. My wife bought both of your Gnomon dvds for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I just finished the exterior on, Very nice dvd. Im probably goin to watch the interior one before i render the still again.