How to speed up the rendering time for Maxwell

Mave

Materials errors depend on which version you are using and which plugin but in my (LightWave) experience, they come from having more than one image in a texture channel or using TGAs. Also having a texture in the luminosity channel crashed it, having emitters in the same object as other geometry etc etc etc.

It's trial and error until you get the hang of it. Just keep objects and textures simple.

The lighting is the easy part. Just put in the time of day and whether you want sunlight or not.

To speed it up is the impossible part. Keep the number and the poly count of emitters and dielectrics down.

Get a good computer and Neat Image.

• 2 weeks later...

from my experience with using Maxwell, occasional crashing with Max's mat editor. for fast noise-free rendering, it's quite hard to achieve with Maxwell. i've try to avoid using dielectric materials, minimal emmiters and glass. but sometimes even with minimal noise-emmiting objects in my scene, a decent image took almost 4 to 5 hrs to render, with minimal noise.

I wonder how AMD's doing with the technology they were working on that would make a multi-core CPU look and act like a single CPU. Given Maxwell's apparent inefficiency in utilizing render farms and even multi core systems, and that the license is still $250 per core, that kind of system might be the only thing that would make Maxwell fast.

I've asked more than one NL person about this and posted in a suggestions thread that Nicole was reading that it's about time they acted on that, seeing as how dual cores is now the "standard" CPU on the market, and never got any kind of reply.

I wonder how AMD's doing with the technology they were working on that would make a multi-core CPU look and act like a single CPU. Given Maxwell's apparent inefficiency in utilizing render farms and even multi core systems, and that the license is still $250 per core, that kind of system might be the only thing that would make Maxwell fast.

Maxwell's network rendering is crap slow because of how it merges the output like a daisy chain. It also transfers data across the network very slowly for some reason. However, its multi-core operation seems pretty efficient. I run it on a 4 core Mac Pro, and it's about 4 times as fast as a comparable single core machine.

Of course, they need to update the licensing scheme yesterday. Making people pay per core is totally missing the point- licensing should be per machine, whether it's one machine or two or 100. It's my business what I put inside those machines.