lampshade translucency

mfured20

hi guys!

i was hoping for some help from the gurus... i am trying to get a light to shine thru a lampshade, but i cant seem to acheive the effect i want. attatched is an image of my model and my reference photo, as well as my material settings for the lampshade.

i have played with the refraction, the translucency, all of that. right now i have a transparency map so that i can see thru the shade, but the light doesnt glance off the threads like it does in the picture. has anyone else done anything like this that could give me a couple of pointers? Thanks in advance!

awesome guys! Rick, thanks for the info on the fog multiplier... i tried something similar, but got frustrated and moved on. Ill try again.

and in the meantime, Tim, ill look into that upgrade. im on a shoestring budget right now, but vray upgrade is next on the list. if it could be a free one i will rejoice!

thanks guys

Isn't Vray 1.5 a free upgrade from 1.47.03? It was for me. Seriously, you will wet yourself once you try out the 2sided material. I have used it for many lamp shades, curtains, sandblasted glass, etc. You can't beat the effect and the speed.

Is there a tutorial for using the 2sided material anywhere, do you have to adjust each side of the materials refraction for instance ?

Actually, it's really simple. You don't even have to use 2 materials. When working with 2-sided mtl, the refraction is just there so you can see thru the material. You just need to worry about the translucency color, which controls how much of the back material will be seen from the front and that's it. A pretty simple concept with amazing results.

and in the meantime, Tim, ill look into that upgrade. im on a shoestring budget right now, but vray upgrade is next on the list. if it could be a free one i will rejoice!

thanks guys

rejoice then, it is a free upgrade, upgrades were included in your package price up to the 1.5 release. (which includes RC3) Our firm was on like 1.43 or something when i joined, and we've upgraded the whole way.

rejoice then, it is a free upgrade, upgrades were included in your package price up to the 1.5 release. (which includes RC3) Our firm was on like 1.43 or something when i joined, and we've upgraded the whole way.

And why do we love Chaos group so much?

Oh and by the way, there is an example on the spot3d help files.