FYI: autobackup updates in max 9

Chris Johnson

In case some of you didn't know I did a few things in Max 9 with autobackup. I mention them here because they didn't make front page news. i.e. they were buried deep in the help files. But I felt it was important for some of you to know:

1. There is now a maximum of 99 autosaves, not 9.

2. Autosaves only occur if something has changed in the scene. If you leave your computer for an hour, and your interval timer is set to 5 minutes... no autosaves will occur. This is helpful for not overwriting all your autosave files inadvertantly.

3. After a file save, and file save-as, it will reset the autosave timer.

4. For you scripters out there, there is the autosave interface exposing methods and properties for your scripting pleasure.

Chris Johnson

Hi Chris,

REALLY appreciate your taking the time to broadcast

this to us users. So many little tweaks like this can

add an awful lot to the productivity value of a piece

of software. I wish, I wish, I wish Autodesk would

produce a full IN DEPTH help file with each release

that fully documents ALL changes in a new release.

I think it would go a long way to helping users see

the full value of their upgrade instead of ONLY focusing

on the 'Whizz bang' features.

Thanks again

Bri

You have an excellent point there. I agree with you that it would be excellent to point out everything that did get fixed. I made sure that the help docs guy got notified of this improvement. However the help docs doesn't have a separate 'what's new' feature. It's buried down in the index somewhere.

Also keep in mind that the source code gets thousands of submissions over the course of a year: Which really makes collecting all of them, and writing them up a chore.

I may try to put together something like that next summer (If I have time...) :)

Chris J.