car headlight ies file.

Tommy L

yup, sumthing i have also been thinking about lately, as within car photography the headlighs are always put on dim.

I would probably make the headlight material reflective, shine a warm soft spot right onto it and only it, and then adjust the effect in ps. then if you want it to show up on the ground use another spot with it's hotspot being small and then its falloff being large.

let us know when you have done something!

• 2 weeks later...

each headlight has 3 lights:

1) a wide target light as a wash with both start and end attenuation.

2) a narrow 'beam' target with end attenuation

3) ies light as a light to make a pretty pattern on the floor in front of the car.

each rear light is an ies with a red filter on it.

the lamp covers on the car itself are vraylight material but the object is set to not contribute to GI, so the rendertime doesnt go up. These cars are top be used in a very complex scene, if i can, i want to do it all in one file. If not, the carlights are going to animated in the scene and ill comp the car afterwards.

looks really good, i agree about the backlights

i think maybe you can copy all 4 ies lights (so you have 8) and turn each about 45 degreas outwards respectively and make them extremely soft cause car lights still does blead more to the sides. it must be so soft that one doesn't actually notice it at first but it is still there.

thanx for the update

oh, how about some orange flickers?:D

I know you are working on rendertimes for your night animation tommy (is this for that project?)....in case you dont already know, ies lights will KILL your rendertimes. They do look great, but I find they are kind of a luxury when keeping your render times down.

ies lights will KILL your rendertimes. They do look great, but I find they are kind of a luxury when keeping your render times down.

As I mentioned in the night-anim thread, I think the car lights are too sharp. Have you tried a simple spot for each headlight, perhaps with a bit of a sharpened falloff? A great trick is to put a small omni just in front of the lamp so ir throws some general light around the front of the car and just around the lamp itself--it looks like some glare. You can even get away without having the omni cast a shadow, just make sure to attenuate it to a fairly short distance.