V-ray error:cannot create bitmap

antonio_frias

There is another way. You could "print screen" the render and then paste in photoshop and cut it out without the frame buffer window. If its low res and it fits your desktop settings just shoot it in one go - if not zoom in and make as many screen dumps as you need to get it in a 1 : 1 ratio. Then simply add it all up in photoshop.

It sucks! I believe it is an issue of not having enough memory. I ended up finding this somewhere in the Chaos Forum and it worked for me (but personally find it a pain):

Basically, you are running out of RAM. One way to reduce the memory usage for the render elements is to write the image to a .vrimg file and then use the vrimg2exr converter to extract the channels. 
(*) Make sure you are using the V-Ray VFB; 
(*) In the Common tab of the Render scene dialog set the resolution to something like 320x240; 
(*) In the V-Ray VFB settings, turn OFF the "Get resolution from Max" option for the VFB, and specify the actual resolution that you need; 
(*) Turn off the "use memory frame buffer" option; 
(*) Turn on the "write raw image file" option and specify a .vrimg file in the field below it. 
(*) Turn on the "generate preview" option. 
(*) After the rendering is complete, use the vrimg2exr tool to extract the render elements as .exr files. You can find the vrimg2exr tool in the Start menu > Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3dsmax > Tools. There is also a GUI for it posted in the off-topic section of the forum, I think. 

Alternatively, you can simply render on a 64-bit machine with 64-bit 3dsmax and V-Ray. 

Best regards, 
Vlado

I am still quite ticked that with a new machine and Windows XP I can't render an image at 2400 x 3600 px! Apparently, with Windows 64bit you are not limited by memory.

Someone out there correct me if I am misunderstanding things.

It sucks! I believe it is an issue of not having enough memory. I ended up finding this somewhere in the Chaos Forum and it worked for me (but personally find it a pain):

Basically, you are running out of RAM. One way to reduce the memory usage for the render elements is to write the image to a .vrimg file and then use the vrimg2exr converter to extract the channels. 
(*) In the Common tab of the Render scene dialog set the resolution to something like 320x240; 
(*) In the V-Ray VFB settings, turn OFF the "Get resolution from Max" option for the VFB, and specify the actual resolution that you need; 
(*) Turn on the "write raw image file" option and specify a .vrimg file in the field below it. 
(*) After the rendering is complete, use the vrimg2exr tool to extract the render elements as .exr files. You can find the vrimg2exr tool in the Start menu > Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3dsmax > Tools. There is also a GUI for it posted in the off-topic section of the forum, I think. 

Alternatively, you can simply render on a 64-bit machine with 64-bit 3dsmax and V-Ray. 

Best regards, 
Vlado

I am still quite ticked that with a new machine and Windows XP I can't render an image at 2400 x 3600 px! Apparently, with Windows 64bit you are not limited by memory.

Thx ajibade, I'll give this a try. But.. I still don't understand why! I don't see what the memory has to do with this because my scene was already rendered, I just had to save it.

Think of it like long-hand math, you spent so much space calculating and doing the math for your answer that when you were done you have have the answer but no room to write it out.

Basically you have no extra ram to allocate a temp file to dump the image data into which would inturn be saved as a file on your harddrive. (i probably could say that in a better way but can't come up with one) With vray it's always important to be conscience about memory usage with vray. Thus the existance of proxies (only use when needed), instancing, and of course the vrimg. The vrimg is a nice feature for making high res renderings, I use them whenever I'm writing a file above 3000 px wide, and stick to the vray buffer for anything smaller.

By the way I really don't like the vrayimg2exr converter, I think someone is working on a gui verson, but even the maxscript version for a single image seems overkill. I prefer to just open it using the "view image file" on max's file menu and save out an exr. Although the exr converter has a batch option which could be nice if you have a folder full of conversions.

Thx, this worked out nicely!

Best regards, 
Vlado

• 3 years later...