Max runs slower on 64x bit slower than 32???!?!

Bugga_Guy

I just got a new dell workstation quad core.

However the computer seems to be slower than my old Dual Xeon.... It renders faster, can handle/open scenes that have more geometry. However its seems buggy and slow in terms of navigation.. I have been hearing rumors that with max 32 runs slower on windows 64? Has anyone experience this??

Are you using 32-bit Max9? Max8? If Max9, I guess you're using 32-bit version for compatibility with a 32-bit renderfarm, other peoples' files, etc? If so, 64-bit OS allows you to access up to 4GB of memory for 32-bit software, even if you have 8GB or more (32-bit OS allows 2GB/process). 64-bit isn't faster unless your memory requirements are up there, and testing shows it is often a bit slower, but typically a few % -not really noticeable. Your experience sounds like a combo of graphics card and unmet expectations -you expect a quad-core 64-bit machine to scream, right?, but if you cheaped out on the graphics card, or the driver sucks, the gui part will suck too, even if rendering is way faster. Tell us your specs, Max version, etc.

Thanks for the input.

My specs are:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 ed ver 2003 sp1

Max 8 sp3 commercial 32x bit

Dell Precision PWS690 Quad core @ 1.86GHz with 4.00 of ram

NVIDIA QUADRO FX 3500

with 1 100 Primary Drive and 2 Back up drives set in RAID at 400GIGS.

Everything just seems slower We now have Priemere Pro 2. and that seems slower than my old 6.5.

win 64 seems to hang, difficult to run 2 tasks at one time anymore. Our IT guy and I are really scratching my head on this one.

That is a bit odd. The slowdowns for running 32-bit stuff on 64-bit really aren't that bad, and you've got an FX3500, which ought to be kickass. Do you have the latest driver for that? Also, how fast was the machine you're comparing to? 1.86 is no slouch but it only uses 1 core for the Max interface so it's performing like a P4-3.6 or thereabouts.

• 2 months later...
I resurrect thee thread!!!

anyway, just want to add, that i've also experienced some slowdowns running CS2 XP64. Especially during startup of cs2 and during opening of files.

The bigger the OS, the more grunt you'll need to run it.

It sounds like you have an awesomely grunty machine.

I'd check for service pack updates, driver updates, etc.

If at all possible, I'd run Max 9 64-bit version. It's made for 64-bit OSes and everything should scream then.

I know there are issues with a 64-bit OS running 32-bit programs.

I know microsoft wanted to cut-off backwards compatibility to promote security and plug leaks and hacker holes.

No chance of upgrading to Max 9? I'd love to see a set of render times with your current configuration and the same scene under max 9.

I resurrect thee thread!!!

anyway, just want to add, that i've also experienced some slowdowns running CS2 XP64. Especially during startup of cs2 and during opening of files.

Interesting. A few months ago I swithed my OS from xp 32 bit to xp 64 bit. Right before I installed 64 bit I tested some files. The photoshop file opened and saved much faster with 64 bit. This test was on a machine with 3 gigs of ram.

• 11 months later...

guys i have 8 gigs too with (xp64/max64/vray64)

the problem i have is; i try to test render evermotion interior scene and the Ram wont go more than 4 gigs all the time.

I switch boot.ini with \8GB ; it said available in task manager but max64 just wont take it.

It cant be because of the process doesnt require ammount of 8 gig of ram; because I tried to render in 20.000 x 10.000 resolution and still just take less than 4GB

Is it possible that RAM speed or Graphic Card affecting this?

all I can see is that 8 processor always runs in 100% mode (task manager)

how much affecting the speed of ram (fully buffered/ecc) from 533/667/800mhz for rendering purposes (max+vray)

my processor is 2x quad xeon 3ghz 1333fsb

and the test renders mostly done around 30 minutes in 1200x600 resolution

thanks alot