Question re: Importing CAD into 3ds max 9 and files sizes...

VCRUPI

Hi Everyone,

I imported floorplans and elevations done in CAD into 3ds max 9. The files range from 65kb to 542kb (small files), there are about 14 files I imported. No hatching or x-refs were selected in the options when importing into max.

So here's my question... If all these files are so small, then why is my max file 68mb? I haven't even started the project yet and this file is huge. Anyone have answers for this?

Thanks in advance.

My guess is that every single line is treated as an object. If you check the Summary Info you'll see you have thousands of lines/objects, hence the size of the file. What I do is use the lines and delete them afterwards. But, again, I ain't no expert, so I might be wrong.

it's the same reason that a teapot with 64 segments is only a few kb but when collapsed is over 10MB...i dont know what the scene looks like but it's not hard to imagine 14 files of that size can equate to that file size in max. importing lines from dwg, dxf etc is quite a chore....can take several minutes to import an average size drawing. it's what i call a dirty cad file...i recommend cleaning house :p