HyperShot: This is interesting

vizwhiz

• 1 year later...

I had a play with Bunkspeed it looks like its a progressive renderer.

You can move your camera around in realtime and watch it render at a preview quality (like an IPR render ). For high res images you still have to render them. Reminds me of Modo or Rendition.

One thing I don't like is it doesn't have lights, you have to use hdri map material on and object for a light. Kind of like how Maxwell uses materials as lights except Maxwell has a specific light material that you can tweak colour temps and watts.

The other thing is the way they cost there software, the higher the resolution renders are, the higher the cost of the software. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

Speed wise I really haven't had much time to test it.

The problem I have with these engines is they aren't really suited for architectural work; they almost always show an object being rendered that is relatively small and wouldn’t be nearly as complex as a building. They just don't have the power needed to interactively work on a large project with millions of poly's. Chaos group is also working on and interactive engine, the biggest difference is theirs can combine the power of multiple computers to aid in the calculations which might be the only way around the power problem.

I'm definitely interested in Chaos Groups progressive renderer same with Rendition.

I like the way rendition uses Arch and Design shader well any mental ray shaders, so the same Mental Ray scene will work in Rendition. Final Render have a progressive renderer on its way as well, same with Modo. Looks like lots renderers are going this way.

Maybe I'm using it wrong, but....

HyperShot:

Some images from Mental Ray and HyperShot. Images were rendered at 1280 and resized in Photoshop to 640. I'm afraid I gave up on the product before I was able to get a saved full render (after rendering twice).

Building is 13080 polygons.Cornice lines and edge loops mostly run all around. Only the front is gussied up. Not bottom and hollow shell.

HS slings the building around in the quick screen with no worries but not particularly nice quality.

UI seems a bit daft. No, not just different but actually daft. And until I find the "look up" button it will have to go down as "useless for buildings". ... OK, that "works" but strikes me as the second time this weekend I've used a commercial product that was written for a master's thesis by somebody who's never used real software.

Nearly as bad a processor hog as Mental Ray. Far less memory than Max, but we are asking less of it.

Materials were assigned in Max as a single multi-sub adjusting nothing but the color pot. HyperShot dealt with this perfectly.

The quick job has nicer AA than my Mental render.

Quick and slow render have booboos (see cornice). The geometry up there is fine barring a little splaying of loops from extruding the cornice.

Looks like the render is one pixel lower than the preview. I detect no horizontal shift. No perspective difference. The one pixel may be the result of error or a legitimate attempt to avoid error. Various aspects of rendering and scan converting and stuff I'm not really conversant with involve little shifts; I'd have expected a half pixel difference for that. Maybe it's a simple "arrays start at 0" issue ;-). Easy to compensate for in Photoshop IF you should ever need to combine the two outputs.

The slow render is showing an odd patterning on the pilaster that is not geometry related.

I like the inclusion of exposure controls

I have no idea why it wastes my time rendering all 184 materials when I open the materials the first time... it ships with 96 material thumbnails.

My feeling moving this around was that I'd rather show it to the client in the max viewport with grainless shading. Add to that fond memories of the live shadows in later versions of Max (I'm on 9) and the difficulty with the camera controls. I feel like setting up a scene in HS to treat as an architctural space would not work.

... There we go, 17.5 minutes.And it didn't SAVE the image. Maybe because of a name collision with the screen cap I did earlier. Maybe not. I'm not going to spend another 20 minutes on it though. The render had a nice if maybe a little soft loo and too many errors.

I was going to try moving the building off a little so it looked sane against its background. The "move object" dialog is a joke. I have one more thing that I want to try and then I'm done.

Walking around an urban scene is possible. Had to resort to the "pan then rotate" system which isn't natural. Now, two minutes later I can not remember which key/mouse combo is used to move forward. "But you'll learn them." "You ever move between programs with different navigation controls?"

Rats, I got caught up in doing something else and don't know how long the render took. A goodly while. Maybe fifteen minutes. It got saved. It says so. ... Where? OK, there is an edit control that I ignored. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Bunkspeed\HyperShot\Screenshots\untitled.0.jpg. Except there is no image there. Maybe that's a "feature" of the demo. The "Save Screenshot" button on the main ... dialog works.

There's more whining, but I'll not bother you with them.

I'll not be using it.

• 3 weeks later...