Career Path

DsgnVsualization

I noticed alot of people are talking about career stuff in regards to Arch Viz. I am getting my M.S. in Architecture_ studying mainly digital design. I agree with people the portfolio is the most important. I have along way to go myself. A masters degree really just buys you the ability to teach it at the college level_ depending on the type of university/college. I am getting ready to graduate and I have the opportunity to teach _ Drafting, 3D modeling, and Animation to Arch Tech and Interior Design students. I am really having a hard time deciding whether I need some " real experience" or to teach first. Anyone have any opinions on which path makes the most sense?

I think real world experience would make you a better teacher. The professors I had in school that really stand out in my mind that I admired and really understood were the ones that carried a professional practice while teaching or, had practiced for a long time before teaching.

Some professors who are just that "professional teachers" just don't translate as well. They know how to teach their material cause that's what they do, but there's more to teaching than just regurgitating concepts.

I realize there are teachers who totally break this concept. But on average.... that's the way i saw it through school.

as someone who has worked in architecture for almost 20 years before pursuing an academic career teaching CAD and computer graphic courses, i have some experience with this issue.

just as brian noted, there is no substitute for real world experience. many instructors can become knowledgable about a program or skill, but without the experience of how it translates to an office environment, it lacks credibility.

i would like to think that my students learn more than the basics of the programs (autocad mostly,with some VIZ, illustrator, photoshop), but rather how it really functions in an office. even as a full-time instructor, i still do a fair amount of work and research on the side to stay sharp and current.

perhaps you can teach part-time at first, get some experience and keep your foot in the door of academia.....

best of luck !

paul

Thanks alot, I appreciate the advice. I actually have taught part-time but I am just hesitant about full-time since I don't have to much exerience. At the very least if I do take the full-time job I will also focus on cultivating my real world experiences to be able to give my students the nest of both worlds. Thanks again:)