So I have a site survey...now what?

Gene

Hello All,

For those of you who don't know me, I am a Forensic Animator transitioning from another package. I am learning Max and have decided to try a pseudo real project similar to what I can expect from my clients.

I am trying to understand how this would work...

I have a site survey which looks like the attached image. These are mostly lines in AutoCAD which are well organized in layers and have accurately placed 3D coordinates. They even show where the road lines are located on the road and I can import this survey into Max, shutting off the layers I don't need.

But, what is puzzling me right now is how to make terrain which will follow the verteces each of the important lines?

The Terrain function connects all points together (i.e. everything!) and I find I need to erase a lot of polygons because they are all over the place. I think there might be a way to use Nurbs surfaces (I really like the look of these), but it is really quite puzzling.

Alternatively, is there a way I can manually stich in polygons to each of the important verteces of my choosing?

I have read a number of posts on how some other people do it and I would like to figure a solution without using other plugins or AutoCAD if possible, but I am open to the least painful method (ha!)

I sort of need a coach on this one...

Cheers,

Eugene