reduce noise in image question

markf

I have rendered this image

http://openrang.server269.com./test-posts/living02.jpg

I posted the link so a higher res image than allowed by the forum could be seen. Hope this works and is ok.

Settings used: Secondary bounce - QMC, Min rate- negative 6, max rate-0, HSph subdiv- 50, Interp samples 30. Rest default

There is noise on the wall and ceiling . esp noticable around shadow cast by TV. Any advice on which setting to change to eliminate this? Any other C&C about the image also welcome

Thanks for any help

I have rendered this image

http://openrang.server269.com./test-posts/living02.jpg

I posted the link so a higher res image than allowed by the forum could be seen. Hope this works and is ok.

Settings used: Secondary bounce - QMC, Min rate- negative 6, max rate-0, HSph subdiv- 50, Interp samples 30. Rest default

There is noise on the wall and ceiling . esp noticable around shadow cast by TV. Any advice on which setting to change to eliminate this? Any other C&C about the image also welcome

Thanks for any help

Actually I noticed the tiling on the textures way before the noise. I would fix that too... :)

As for the noise.... your rates seem odd. What is the res? One quick way to reduce it is to increase the interpolated Samples to 50 or so. But if you have a high res image like that, you can usually go down to -5,-4... -6,0 seems extreme on both ends. Also, to get a little more noise control, if all else fails you can reduce the noise thresh on the rQMC to 0.002 or something like that.

Christopher,

Thanks for your reply!

I notice the tiling on the edge of the counter top. Where else do you notice the tiling?

The res is 2,000px W x 1333H (that's the size of the image that the link above points to) I'm planning to final render at 3,000 W but haven't done so yet. I'm new to Vray and not sure if I need to adjust any settings for higher res.

I had the -6 rate on the advice of a person from the Chaos forum. He (Lele) seemed very knowledgable. He pointed out why decreasing the min rate actually improves the quality (I think) and reduces the render time. I'm not sure about 0 as the max rate. Do you think that these rates are causing the noise?

To be fair with what andrew said, the noise you have is fairly light in the GI world. Nontheless it can stillbe reduced with not much of an issue. -6 is fine, the 0 is the issue. Try a -3 or so (which will help you when you go to 3k), and use reduce your noise threashold in the rQMC.

Tiling, it is in the mainly in the granite...