School project : Attic room for oral exams

samp

These are renders I made with Autodesk VIZ 4.

They were made for school, Ghent university, where I study for engineer architect.

We were asked to organise an attic room to be used for oral exams.

However my design seemed to suck bigtime (cause I only got 8/20), caused by some mayor organisation problems, they (the professor and his assistants) seemed to like the visualisation of it.

But as they are not realy into 3D visualisation, I put it here for some additional critics on my technics.

There are still some details where I'm not completely happy with. That was caused by a lac of time to complete the whole project.

However I don't have the intentions to change anything on it (since I'm now working on another project for school), I did post it in the WIP section. This is mostly cause I don't think it's good enough to be in the "completed work"-section.

It was my first project done with Autodesk VIZ 4.

Examen31.jpg

Examen32.jpg

Examen33.jpg

Examen34.jpg

Examen35.jpg

Examen40.jpg

Examen41.jpg

[ May 20, 2002, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: samp ]

Hi Samp,

By seeing these images again, I know for sure that you're the same 'samp'-guy from IRCnet ;)

Pretty weird to find a 'homie' on a canadian site, but great anyway.

As I've allready seen these images, I think I've giving you some feedback allready. Here it is again:

- the steel structure does not have much depth because it is all black.

- tiling in both the floor and the masonry are easily spotted

- in my opinion there is to much focus on the tables (color)

- the lighting is distracting: strange shadows/highlights

I like the first image best (except for the furniture).

What's the new project you're working on?

rgds

nisus

Thx for the critics.

I know what you mean.

And I also know I have to learn ALOT to ever be as good as you are ;)

I know the furniture sucks, I had to find some fast, and found these on the internet.

The models are more then ok, but I kinda fucked them up :p

I think I did something wrong with the radiosity settings too ...

The next project had to be done 16th of may.

So it's done for school.

I made a 3D model from the real time model (1/100) I had to make. And I rendered that without any textures (just gray). I did that for 2 reasons : I had no time to add them, and actualy I didn't think about it in design-process (It didn't change anything to the concept).

I think you will know the location Nisus.

It's at "'t Laurentpleintje" in Ghent.

Where the big gap is between the two Scapa-stores.

We had to fill in the gap with a multi-functional store of minimum 130 m² (That wmeans as much as an empty room :) )

and minimum 2 studios.

Restrictions were : maximum 3 m over the water, maximum 11 m high and maximum 3 levels.

Maybe I'll post the gray renders here, but I'd rather like to post pictures from it totaly textured. Maybe I find the time to do that between the examens.

Have to do the jury for that project on 23th of may...

I hope my grades will be ok, so I don't have to do all this again next year :)

[ May 20, 2002, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: samp ]

the bones are all there, but the lighting and texturing really needs serious work.

as mentioned, there's tiling problems in the walls and floors.

the steel work is too black. put a lighter colour and ammend the specularity to help.

furnature - modelling looks ok, but spend a bit of time on the texturing.

nothing it the scenes reflect either. in real life nearly everything reflects to some degree (whether objects reflecting or light bouncing)

and the shadows - at least put some low emmitting omni lights dotted around with soft shadows switched on. there is next to no shadow work in your scenes, in shadow work / shading / lighting will always make or break a scene over texturing.

but if you have the time stick with it. the basics are there for some sweet looking images.

Hi Samp,

Nice to hear from you again.

I do know the location of your next project because I happen to live in an area of a few hundred metres away from it. :-p

Anyway, what a pitty you had to fill that gap again: it took the people from the city ages to open up that nice view! Okay, the building at the South is really yukkie, but there's a nice view on the yet-to-come concert hall.

There is a competition going on for it. I believe OMA (Rem Koolkaas), Toyo Ito and three other bureaus are currently working on it.

Have you heard anything on it yet?

rgds

nisus

Hmmm, where is that planned to be build?

Euh, I learned about those architects, but didn't know they did a competition in Ghent ...

I even thought the whole concert-thing was blown off!

Wasn't it ment to be build near the Decascope ?

Hi samp,

As far as I know the competition is still going on, although questions arise on whether it will be really build because the concerthall in bruges already was a big cost (almost 250% of the original budget, and the roof is falling down!)

Anyway, the construction site is the old 'Circus Central' next to the Ucon, not very far from the Vooruit. You can see the site from the gap between the two shops you describer earlier ;)

cu

nisus