Noise in Vray images

ienrdna

to cleanup the image with the qmc that you originally had, you need a mixture of qmc gi subdivs and noise threshold. reducing the noise threshold will reduce the noise but only as much as you subdivs value allows. if there arent enough samples, further decreases in noise threshold will mean nothing. the opposite is also true...increasing subdivs will reduce noise but only as much as the noise threshold allows. also dont forget that noise threshold has no affect if you do not conduct importance sampling

i notice your noise threshold is 0.01. my default is 0.005. what kind of video card are you using? gl open allows up to 0.001 but the xdirect allows only up to 0.01. this is going to be a problem when going to windows vista. i am sure there are another way to get finer threshold, but i don't know now.

Hi all, Im new on this forum, and it seems very helpfull and usefull.

Enyway recenty I started having promblem, my images are very noisy

assdg2.jpg

Untitled-1-1.jpg

very easy... do you have 1.5?

use these settings...

AA

QMC

min 1, max 16, turn off use QMC sampler, set clr thrsh to 0.005

Set your AA filter to something like lanczos

rQMC

set your min back to 8

If the noise is still there lower the clr thrsh to 0.002

Don't switch Image samplers to Adaptive since it will not solve your glossy issues, which is where your noise is.

Well technically speaking once you set it right, the only real variable you need to adjust is clr thrsh. from 0.1 to look like crap and render fast, to 0.001 to be really good and look great. If it is not enough, you can always increase the max from 16 to 25. We always joked at work about making a slider that had "total crap" on one side and "holy crap" on the other. Besides, I would rather have control of it than have be at the mercy of the rendertimes.

I think it's because of the glass of your skylight. exclude them from your external light source. That's the one causing the noise. Use light cache and adaptive subd. Change the area to catmul rom. Even by the default setting it should'nt be that noisy and dimmed.

thanks Chris! I tried your advise, quality got alot better ,but still theres little bit of noise

I also have problem with ati-aliasing VrayLights, sometimes edges and speculars are totally jagged.:confused::mad:

OK... now you are getting to the nitty gritty. To get rid of that noise on the now end. You need a few key choices. one thing that can help is to raise your min from 1 to 2. What that does is to make sure that there all noise will not cut off at one. This can help a bit. Otherwise, lover your clr thrch some more.

As for the jaggid edges. This is the same problem on the other end of the spectrum....

Basically, the issue is this. Vray renders are super high quality HDR... and it has to AA for a very very big color depth. So your sun intensity is through the roof, so it can't AA it properly unless you tell it clamp it, or smaple a lot lot more. That is possible. if you select to "clamp" and "sub-pixel" map in the Color mapping. Problem is you loose your HDR quality in the render. The only other way around it is to raise your max level on your AA... 25, 50, 80, even 100 may be needed, and that can really make for some long render times. Not maxwell insane times, but long for Vray.

I think I am going to make a video tutorial on this... :) Good subject :)

Chris make a video Tutorial on everything Vray (again) please

i like your idea of a slider (ok, i havent made The vray effort yet)

is There any way To make a wheel with 4 quadrants That give you

The basic options of low setting, and Then you can spin The wheel

and re-set previous 'preset' saved rendering settings

That might work better for etc. Interior as vs Exterior

????

just wishful Thinking on my part

That There are some basic settings

That work well, which you alluded To in your post

Christopher Nichols

Well technically speaking once you set it right, the only real variable you need to adjust is clr thrsh. from 0.1 to look like crap and render fast, to 0.001 to be really good and look great. If it is not enough, you can always increase the max from 16 to 25. We always joked at work about making a slider that had "total crap" on one side and "holy crap" on the other. Besides, I would rather have control of it than have be at the mercy of the rendertimes.

Thanks

Randy

• 2 years later...

Hi all. I just recently joined this forum. It looks like a great place to share useful info.

I would like also to thank Christopher for his awesome DVD on global illumination.

Back to the noise issue. I applied the settings suggested by Christopher on a scene with a small single storey house (imported from Revit). I added few Onyx bushes and trees, and applied a V-ray displacement to the grass. The files contain 5278599 vertices and 6473575 faces. Every single time I try to render, 3ds Max freezes. Other similar projects take non less than 15-20hrs. Is that normal? I have attached an image with all the setting used for the render. Are other settings I'm missing to consider in order to accelerate the rendering time?

Hi all. I just recently joined this forum. It looks like a great place to share useful info.

I would like also to thank Christopher for his awesome DVD on global illumination.

Back to the noise issue. I applied the settings suggested by Christopher on a scene with a small single storey house (imported from Revit). I added few Onyx bushes and trees, and applied a V-ray displacement to the grass. The files contain 5278599 vertices and 6473575 faces. Every single time I try to render, 3ds Max freezes. Other similar projects take non less than 15-20hrs. Is that normal? I have attached an image with all the setting used for the render. Are other settings I'm missing to consider in order to accelerate the rendering time?[/font]

...the attachments.

Hi Hosain,

You have a lot of problematic settings, but the biggest problem is your image sampler. I'd argue that the human eye can't detect the benefit of 16 subdivisions. I would highly suggest using min/max values of 2/5 and a Clr thresh. of .005. You can go up to 3/6 and down to .003 if the image still has a small amount of noise not caused by GI settings. You have some other inappropriate settings IMO...I don't have time right now. You can search for posts that I've made and the keyword noise...there are lots of them. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Hosain,

You have a lot of problematic settings, but the biggest problem is your image sampler. I'd argue that the human eye can't detect the benefit of 16 subdivisions. I would highly suggest using min/max values of 2/5 and a Clr thresh. of .005. You can go up to 3/6 and down to .003 if the image still has a small amount of noise not caused by GI settings. You have some other inappropriate settings IMO...I don't have time right now. You can search for posts that I've made and the keyword noise...there are lots of them. Good luck.

Thanks Brian.