Train / Truck & Trailer Setup

Redav

Well, I for the life of me can't find a tutorial on the net to help. I've got a single mesh truck which I've split into cab and trailer and I'm trying to workout how I can set it up so that the cab follows a spline and the trailer follows it and tracks along the same path whilst pivoting where it should. I'd imagine it's the same sort of setup that you'd do if you were doing it for a train.

Any suggestions?

quite simple actually-

draw the spline

pick the object u want to attach to it

go to the 'motion' tab on the right (next to hirarchy i think)

and now: assign controller

position (press the question mark above it)

and pick 'path constraint'

and there u have it

sounds longer than it really is

good luck

quite simple actually-

draw the spline

pick the object u want to attach to it

go to the 'motion' tab on the right (next to hirarchy i think)

and now: assign controller

position (press the question mark above it)

and pick 'path constraint'

and there u have it

sounds longer than it really is

good luck

I dont think this will acheive the look youre after. This will turn the objects on their pivot point. The trailer wont turn with a dependence on the cab, which you will need for realistic motion. I think you have 2 routes you could take. Either learn animation with bones and/or IK chains (difficult), or buy it (expensive). There was a featured article about craft(?) plugins which enable realistic vehicle motion. Have a look in the featured article thread. There are other cheaper options, they are discussed in the thread I believe.

PLease share your findings, it could help alot of people judging by the comments i the aforementioned craft thread.

Yeah, I've started looking into a bones or IK solution although as that side of MAX isn't my strong point, I'm struggling a little. I'll see how I go. One of the other guys I'm working with from another firm has suggested another plugin they're thinking of purchasing. We'll see. Thanks

Bones with a path controller is the way to go.

Scott,

thanks for putting this up, is has been extremely helpful. I now have a 25 car bone train working nicely, but the turns are still off.

Did you notice in your own file how the bone joints (with the exception of the root bone) do not follow the spline accurately in the turns?

I would like to find out why...:confused: If the BONE JOINTS do not follow the spline correctly, then the wheels won't be positioned properly along a track lofted off of that spline.

I am so close, but I am about to OD on IK!

Here are some screen shots of the Bone Train in action so far...

• 4 years later...