How much to charge?

kingsoz

Hi there CGArchitect!

I am new to the architectural visualisation business, but have recently made the shift from the film industry to go freelance.

I would like to get an idea on how much I can charge for particular projects. Is there a percentage that most of you work to, or do you charge a set amound per room/building?

Say for example a typical extension for a house, project costing £50,000, how much would the architectural visualiser be able to charge for his services?

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated

King Soz

This subject has been covered many times and there is no good answer to your question. We all come from different parts of the world so what I charge here in the US might be different from what someone living in China would charge. Generally speaking the price you charge should be able to adequately compensate you for your time while taking care of any and all fixed costs you have. So if you work from home as a freelancer your fixed costs would be your mortgage, electrical, computer, software and so on. Once you have those costs calculated you need to figure out what you feel is adequate compensation for the time you spend working on a project and will give you a good standard of living. This should give you at least some idea of what you should charge but it would also be a good idea to find out what people around you charge for the same services. Keep in mind that charging to little for your services although it might bring in a lot of business it's also going to devalue your services as well as those of your competitors. Keeping your fees relatively in line with what your competitors are charging is a good idea not only for you but for the industry as a whole.

I think Kingoz's question is fair enough. As Maxer suggested, he should try to keep his fees inline with other artist in the UK region. It would help to know if others around him base there fees on a rate of 50/hr or 150/hr. I am not sure other would want to share that information, but it would be good to know.

Munz

This new point is very true. The quality of your service is what the client is going to pay for and will have a direct effect on the price. Meaning the look of the final product, how quick you can deliver and your flexibility to adjust for the client need are some examples. As it was said earlier, there is no easy answer this.

munz