Richard Meier - Douglas House

HeDaCoM

Hi. I am an architecture student from Spain. These are some images of the Douglas House I did some months ago.

There are one target light for the moon light and many photometric ERCO lights inside.

I modeled it with AutoCAD 2002 and rendered with VIZ 4 on a DUAL PII 450, 512MB

Don't remember exactly te render time... but extremely fast for my old computer ;)

I'm still looking for some documentation to model some parts of the house. I would like also to finish the terrain with trees and render a daylight scene.

Any critiques are welcome :)

Thanks!

Hector D. Corcin

http://hedaweb.6x.to

DOUGLAS%2001.jpg

DOUGLAS%2004.jpg

DOUGLAS%2005.jpg

DOUGLAS%2006.jpg

Hector,

Nice job on the renderings. It has a nice moonlight feel on the exterior with all of the interior lights on.

I really like the architectural style. Glass curtain walls taking advantage of a view. Is there a particular site that that home is proposed for? From the last pic it almost looks like moonlight reflecting of a body of water outside, no?

Paul,

yeah it's moonlight reflecting on water. It's the Lake Michigan. It was built in 1973. yeah.... the house has great views. yeah.. the site is very particular. this is a photograph: rmy_02c.jpg

check this url from the Richard Meier (the architect of the house) website:

http://www.richardmeier.com/douglas.html

heh... I've done a google search and I've found some 3d images of this house also... but not very good quality I think...

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mmcclimo/arch334-formz.html

http://architecture.njit.edu/StWorkPages/DouglasHouse.htm

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sbe/projects/yr1_2002/douglas/douglas.html

http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/exhibits/Rayshade/douglas/

I really like your style Hector. Very impressive renderings. How many and what type of lights did you use? I was also wondering, how much time did it take you to finish the whole model? what about rendering time? hehehehe I know, I asked to many questions, I'm just curious. One more thing, I'm also using AutoCAD 2002 as a modeling tool. The issue is that I have encountered several problems when I try to import the model into VIZ4. I just can't get it to work right. What is the trick man? I would really appreciate if you can share your secret. Thanks. Good job. Saludos. :o

[ April 29, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

CHE. thanks. last image has about 20 or more photometric lights downloaded from erco website. the model is not finished yet. I can model very quickly. I'm modeling on autocad since autocad R9 with 3dfaces. hehe. I don't remember how much time took me to model this. I don't have any secret... Never had problems importing autocad into VIZ. only reloading again the DWG file into VIZ when some objects moved randomly.. that's the only problem I had, but VIZ4 Service Pack 1 solves this.

thank you all. it's great having good feedback about my work. I'll post more images :)

Hi Hector,

congratulations for your very very good work!!

I'm an italian student on architecture, I study at University of Naples "Federico II". Last year I've analyzed some houses of Richard Meier and about Douglas House (Michigan, 1971-76) I can get some images of interior and exterior (I remember also a plan of site..) gathered in a work-book of my workgroup. In a pair of days I'll scanning and send to you all the useful images. OK?

In this way your Douglas House can be completed.

Cheers, Gian Marco.

Guest penguin71

Hey HECTOR

First of all great works very very beautyful.

Can I know if working with Viz4 you must model the architecture with the attention to the geometry like lightscape?

I hope do you will understand me!

Excuse my bad english

Congratulations

[ May 06, 2002, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: stefano ]

thanks

In VIZ4 there is no need of special modeling like in lightscape. I have also noticed that VIZ4 doesn't like coplanar surfaces. I mean if you have two coplanar surfaces of the same material, when you render it, you may see a line or some light differences between them... This was a traditional modeling technique in lightscape, subdividing a surface in main quads polygons, but now you have to model directly into SOLIDS, don't worry about the geometry! It's much better!

Guest penguin71

Thank you HECTOR

In wich part of programm did you have problems for the first time tha you are used it?

Because I don't Know it. Lightscape yes

Bye bye by stefano

mmmm maybe sometimes it generates the images with texture colors too saturated or very bright... (with a sunlight) don't know why.... it's quite hard to set the materials properties. sometimes I have to decrease the RGB level output of a texture. but i didn't have too much problems. it has more rendering power than lightscape. of course.. slower than lightscape but with the render options and effects of max/viz.

Guest penguin71

First of all thank you for the quick reply.

Second:

Did you try Final render and V-Ray?

If yes.What do you think about these?

I think V-Ray is the best at the moment for the speed of GI and Ray tracing.

With Final render maybe you can get more quality but you must spend much time (DAYS) for the settings.

Bye and thanks

yes I tried final render and now i'm trying vray. don't have experience yet....Vray seems very powerfull and competitive. I think finalrender is quite hard to use... I'm waiting for a VIZ4 compatible version of them to compare results.

well. I'm a little busy right now.. final exams.. so I will wait until july to finish the douglas house model. Probably I'll create a webpage with images and the model so people could render some variations or try different radiosity software and compare results.