how to use an opacity map on a raytrace material?

salf

is it possible?

Heres my problem:

Im making a model of a park bench, and this bench is made off perforated steel, so it has millions of little holes in the surface (you can see trough), well, since the first time it was meant to be painted in white, it wasnt that hard to make, i just used the GLOSS WHITE material, and i put a map on the OPACITY slot, this map is just a bunch of black dots, so now it looks like the white bench is all perforated, ao teh shadow on the floor isnt solid, but with tiny dots, so far so good.

Now the problem is that the bench wont be white anymore, but like a chrome material (very shiny steel) so i use the CHROME HWITE material, but this type of material doesnt have an opacity slot....so i cant do the trick.

Any ideas?

thanks.

[ December 16, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: salf ]

hey thanks a lot for the reply!

But im having some problems, by your screenshot i can tell i should use my "opacity" map (dots) on the GRADIENT RAMP mask slot, however, when that slot (gradient ramp) wont let me use a jpeg file, so i dunno how to add my "dots" map.

So all i did so far was put my RAYTRACE (chrome white) material on the first map slot, then on the second material, STANDARD y use my OPACITY dots map on the opacity, and i can see the BLEND material sample, like with dots, but its not perforated.

EDIT: i see...youre in Bangkok, and im at work now....so chances are i wont get a reply soon from you....hehehehe....*sigh*

:)