i-drop II

Clara

Hello, it's CGarchist.

New kid on the block since June.

I am looking for a complete listing of idrop-enabled content websites.

The page Autodesk.com lists as having a link to the websites(idrop.autodesk.com) does NOT, in fact have a link.

Correct me if I am wrong, maybe I have been blinded by too many hours spent in front of the monitor-having fun too!!

I did my homework. there is an i-drop topic that was posted here on July 17, 2003. But the websites listed are not complete.

" posted July 17, 2003 06:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello there,

try these:

http://pointa.autodesk.com/local/enu/portal/idrop/idropCntr.jsp

http://www.point-idrop.com/manufacturers/index.html

http://www.3dstudio.nl/index01.htm

regards,

steffen "

the 3Dstudio site I had, but the PointA site has been moved (the URL connects you to the subscription log in).

Can anyone help? I would love to get my hands on that list and start working with gorgeous models!!

By the way...thanks for the help always and I am having a Great time with Viz!! Finally got a handle on things. Maybe one of these days I can help one of you guys!!! I am reading everything I can find on Viz (Courseware,online tutorials and Mastering Viz by George Omura).

A GREAT book that has made a world of difference is "Digital Lighting and Rendering".Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. For the serious and dedicated.

Thank you Jeremy Birn.And thank you CGArchitect:)

cgarchist

Hi

It seems quite difficult to get data about idrop but there is a discussion group on the AutoDesk Web site under "autodesk.idrop.technology" which provides some input.

Some of the sites are incomplete and I have found it hard to get any technical information on the technology.

Have a look at www.idrop.autodesk.com.

Also http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1862830

Regards

Kerry

• Administrators

I often wonder how long I-drop will be around. While the technology has some potential, it was marketed very pooly by Autodesk and to date I have seen very little in the way of Idrop support or sites. CGarchitect had an Idrop portion of the site for a while, but it received so little traffic that I took it down.

Hola ~

I went to the idrop discussion group and unfortunately all the idrop web sites listed in one of the topics (very meagre list at that)were catered to AutoCAD.

So far, the only list I found useful is at 3Dstudio:

Manufacturers

3dstudio.nl

Betonson Precast Concrete

BMA Ergonomics Office Furniture

Bulo Office Furniture

CWS Sanitair

Duscholux Sanitair

Falco Street Furniture Forbo Marmoleum

Frezza Office Furniture

Fritz Hansen Office Furniture Gispen Office Furniture

Hebo Doors/Windows

Ideal Standard Sanitair

Kembo Office Furniture

Knoll International Office Furniture

Leuwico Office Furniture

Royal Mosa Tiles

Sphinx Sanitair Terca Building bricks

Vasco Radiotors

Velux Roof windows

Plus Erco (Lighting) and HermanMiller (thanks for the link!).

Other links (from the Developer Center at Autodesk) might be found following the links of the idrop "makers".

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3090335

Jeff- can you give us the link to other manufacturers you had when there was the idrop section on CGArchitect.com?

Also, people that know of other links could post them here and we could have an unofficial library!

I believe in i-drop, I think it's a Great tool.

I wish Autodesk would put that website list together!!

cgarchist

Originally posted by Jeff Mottle:

While the technology has some potential, it was marketed very pooly by Autodesk

Right. One problem of this technology is that it requires good tools to deal with. Right now, a user is forced to write his own XML files to be able to use i-drop. This is too technical for an average end user.

Another aspect of this is that the softwares need a temp "drop area", because 90% of the files available as i-drop are poorly modeled (at least to my own standards).

• Administrators
Jeff- can you give us the link to other manufacturers you had when there was the idrop section on CGArchitect.com?

Actually they were not links to other sites, I developed a database driven I-drop site with content from SMED where I used to work. It also allowed users to upload content as well, but it never caught on so I ditched it. It is no longer up and running.