vray Mesh Export

kwerch

Hey all-

Am trying to make Vray proxy- I follow steps in this tut from evermotion-

http://www.evermotion.org/index.php?unfold_exclusive=154&unfold=exclusive

Rather than changing the parts into a mesh, it deletes or hides the model. I see in the target folder that a mesh has been created but I can't seem to get this to show up in the viewport. Have made sure that everything is unhidden.

I see that there are these vray meshes in the scene in the object menu but I am unable to see them. Can't quite figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated yet again-

Regards,

karl

make sure you select the "automatically create proxy" check box before you hit ok. It will replace the mesh in the scene with the actual proxy. Otherwise it just creates the proxy in the designated folder and the scene doesn't change.

note: the object's pivot relocates to 0,0 for the proxy but the object's position is where you left it. Use your hierarchy panel to reset it to the object's center if you plan on moving and rotating the proxy object.

Thanks Brian-

I did that but it still did not work. I opened a new file and went through the steps as described in the tut and it worked fine. I then "save selected" the proxy object and brought that into the other scene.

I'm realy doing all I can to show everything in this scene...Oh well... this will work for now. Thanks.

I'll try to "save as" this scene and see what happens.

best!

• 2 weeks later...

The Vray meshes can be extremely confusing untill you get the process down.. Here a little system that I developed for the office I work in.. We mostly use this for foliage and such, but I guess I will work for about anything.

1) make your base mesh in an empty scene: Whatever it is you want to make into a proxy. Set up all the textures, maps, everything as though it was going in the final scene. For trees I usually make 5-10 copies and modify them slightly, so all your trees dont look the same.

2) Make a COPY of your base mesh, and rename them to whatever you need

3) Select the COPYS and convert them to a vray mesh. I like to rename the proxys that are created with a prefix like "PROXY_Whatever_01" (Ill explain why in a bit)

4) Save the scene

5) Import the new proxys to your master scene from the scene you just saved (hence adding the prefix, as you can just pick all the objects by name on the import dialogue)

Some important notes:

-If you have more than one computer, and especially if you have a render-farm, make sure that when you export the .vrmesh file originaly you have it save to a network drive... If backburner starts rendering a scene with a .vrmesh that it cant find, it will keep rendering anyway, so you will usually either get blinking proxys, or no proxys. Makes me sad when that happens

-I always save the scene that has the original mesh, and the proxys simply because if you make the proxy, and dont save the original mesh, or loose the original, your out of luck.... Cant ever get the original geometry back out of a vrmesh file (as far as Im aware)

Either way, thats basically what I know about Vray Proxy objects.. Hope this is helpfull :)

-Nick Kropat

-I always save the scene that has the original mesh, and the proxys simply because if you make the proxy, and dont save the original mesh, or loose the original, your out of luck.... Cant ever get the original geometry back out of a vrmesh file (as far as Im aware)

-Nick Kropat

Actually you can convert them back. There is a script someone wrote I saw it on Chao's Groups Forums, although I just tried searching for it and of course I can't find the thread.... anyone have it?

ahhh found it.... to convert a vrayproxy back to a mesh....

original thread...

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11526&highlight=vrmesh

QUOTED FROM CHAO's forum....

OK as mentioned a while back in another thread here is the VRmesh manager plugin that we have been putting together. You can convert a vrmesh to an editable mesh. You can also load or unload many proxies in a scene. Please let us know if any bugs show up. We are adding features on the fly so any ideas for new features would be considered.

Install with the exe, start Max, get quad menu with right MB, and select Launch VRmeshtoMax.

http://home.comcast.net/~crubadue/vray/VRMeshToMax.zip

From a legal standpoint please read the license...

Regards,

Corey

• 8 months later...