I'm ready to start taking the ARE... where to start??

1eo

For those outside the US, the A.R.E. are the architecture registration exams.

I'll ready have enough credits to start taking the exams (in the State of FL, you only need to have a year of internship to start taking them :p )

Anyway, I'm about to submit a letter of authorization to transmit my Council

Record to the state registration board and I was wondering what is next?

I have heard of courses that people take to get prepare for the exams!!

I need some guidance in here guys!! :D

leo

study study study. The structures ones are not as hard as they sound. The materials and pre-design are tougher, IMO. Save the 3 graphics ones for last. They're cake compared to the 6 other exams. The classes might be good. I used flash cards and books. Good luck.

thanks... I'll check the site, last saturday was my last day for my Master in Business Administration, so now I'm free to start studing for the ARE :D

I already have two years (+/- 440 credits) and I want to take fully advantage of the fact that in FL you can start taking them early! :D

About a decade ago the NY board started using a CAD program to do parts of the test (actually the whole thing may have been on a computer). They decided to create their own CAD, not use one available to everyone. It was hard for people to use. And no, I didn't take it myself. I'm not an architect, but I play one on TV.

Find out how you will be taking the test, and if its on WeirdoCAD then you want some time to learn about the program, or whatever they will use.

There's a story my father told me about when he took the NY ARE when he moved here around 1970 (he was already licensed in California). The design portion required designing a building lobby or studio (I forget which he said) of a certain size. The problem was, the test sheet contained an obvious typo. There was an extra zero on the sq.ft number. As written, it would be an impossibly-large space. So do you design the size the test obviously meant or do you follow the typo and design to the stupid-large size? He followed the directions as written, and had to stick in a pool and lots of other stuff to fill the space. Guess who passed the test--the people who followed the written size, silly as it was. The ones who 'corrected' the test got to wait 'till next time to re-take it. They failed.

It's only been a few years since I took the exams, but I think I've repressed most memories of them. In any case, they really aren't that bad as long as you dedicate time to studying and stay relaxed during the exams. You definitely will want to get study materials, but just focus on guides that are specific to the exam. Spending time memorizing Graphic Standards will only drive you batty.

For the graphic sections of the exam, you MUST use the guides published by Norman Dorf (http://www.are-solutions.com/). I took his practice exams, and the real exam was so similar that I felt like I was cheating. You should also get the demo version of the "CAD" software used for that portion. Yes it has an atrocious interface, but spend time getting familiar with it and the graphic section shouldn't give you any trouble.

I don't recall the name of the guides I used for the multiple choice sections, but they were geared toward each specific test, and they included several practice tests. With each section, try taking a practice exam first, before you've reviewed the material. You might be suprised by how many you get right before you've even cracked a book.

One strategy that was very helpful to me in the exam was to just keep moving down the list of questions. Do all the obvious ones first, then keep making passes down the test, answering questions you can figure out. Fixating on one difficult question will only waste time that could be spent racking up points in other areas. It will also make you unnecessarily anxious.

To sum it up, remember that your goal is to pass the exams, not to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of architectural practice. Best of luck to you!

Jack

p.s. I just re-read Ernest's post, and the typo story perfectly illustrates the attitude you need to pass the tests. And that attitude is "do as you're told." Once you get past the tests, you can do whatever you please in your own practice of architecture.

Ernest, that was in deed a good story! :D

I'll def. find out what software I will have to use to take the exam.

Jack, I was looking at the http://www.are-solutions.com/ website yesterday, but there were so many site offering the same stuff that I didn't know which to pick... your experience with them will make my decision a lot easier... thank!

leo