real-time visualisation in Architecture

awhitelaw

I have just completed a university research project into the future use of real-time visualisations in architecture for my final year multimedia degree.

The project was initially intended to aid the design process of architects, but soon into the project I realised that a 3D product could be used better to explain designs to the public who were not used to looking at layout and elevation design drawings.

I am now at the evaluation stage of the project and would love some general and technical feedback from professionals in the area. If you have any thoughts about this project or would like to test the virtual reality environment I created then please let me know.

you can read a summery of my research here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg88c7wx_23hf5dft

Thanks for your time any input will be appreciated.

Alan Whitelaw

awhitelaw@gmail.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Alan, that is a very interesting report. You mentioned the immersive and non-immersive virtual realities, with immersive taking advantage of VR headsets. Working with automotive companies, we have used holographic projectors which have the capacity to project entire rooms. The automotive companies have used them to get feedback on operator control placement, overall ergonomics, and styling feedback. The equipment had the capacity to display large areas which could be used for a dynamic walkthrough from room to room of the proposed architectural design.

• 2 weeks later...

vkirchner, Thanks for your comments.

The technology I have used was stereo projection and not entirely impressive. This is something that I would like to use in the future and I personally believe that it has huge possibilities (despite my conclusions of 3d being a gimmick!)

Thanks again.

Alan