terrain modeling, general question

jman0

Hi i'm just wondering what are some programs people use for terrain modeling.

Particularly in the context of creating 3d visualizations for architecture.

And more specifically, terrain modeling from topographic maps, ie: contours from a CAD file. Including roads.

What programs should i look at?

I have a familiarity with 3dMax and a little familiarity with AutoCAD.

But in the interests of creating a pretty picture (3d visualization), that maintains a certain accuracy.. what programs do people use in the industry for this type of stuff?

Just looking for some general suggestions i suppose.

Terragen (free @ http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/) can accept Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED) terrian data which is derived from radar satellites. Much of the world is cover, and the lower resolutions can be found for free on the internet (San Fransisco has good cover with medium resolution imagery). Terragen will then export the created terrian into a 3ds max viewable file. Of course, there is some very high resolution stuff out there, but it will cost. RADARSAT, a Canadian satellite, is well known for its high resolution DTED coverage. This will get you not only realisitic terrian, but could provide you with the REAL terrian.

Thanks i was curious if there existed a handy standalone package or whatever.

That tutorial stuff looks good on CAD to Max.

I am familiar with Sketchup and today can export from CAD to Sketchup, use the Sandbox and Drape tools but then find i need more detail (for example to depress the road surface into the terrain) and go to Max for this. Sketchup is great but it has certain buggy qualities.