MYGOD file open failed !!!

fi3er

this is something thats gonna kill me. my two week work is GONE TO HELL. VIZ freezed at once, after restart file is damaged, even backup one.

is there ANY way to REPAIR damaged file ??? Id do anything. GRAAAHHAHHAAHHHHH. :mad::mad::mad::mad: :ngeupset: :ngeupset: :ngeupset: :ngeupset:

fi3er

I had this happen once to me during an important job and I lost 3 days for work. I had saved the file with the radiosity soultion. That is a big big mistake. The file corrupted and I could not recover it. I even looked in my "autoback" folder inside the viz4 program folder but those were not recoverable either. I suggest looking there - if not recoverable there I don't know how you can recover it. Best of luck. BTW - I tried you're file but it will not open. Maybe you have a backed-up one a few days old.

Xavier

[ May 18, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: xgarcia ]

any chance that you can MERGE from the corrupt file? Start a new VIZ scene - choose to MERGE - then select the corrupt file to merge from.

what a painful way to learn that VIZ should NOT be considered a stable software.

sean

I've had this happen to me in any software, not only VIZ/MAX, in some with higher frequency than others.

The solution is to always keep incremental steps of your project. This way the most you'll lose is the last file.

I even had a hard drive crash on my server (back in 1996) with all my projects in it. Then I started saving multiple versions on multiple systems, and learned the hard way of backups.

Alexander

Guys

this is a very serious problem i´v been facing on all versions of max (includin viz)

the fact is that we can´t recover any damaged file, so i do this:

always set the autoback files to 9 and the time to 3 min...

and i awayas save as the project, every time i do some significant doing or change...(i start for example with ROOM 01.MAX and normally finish with ROOM 36.MAX)

if you think its paranoic...doesn´t your stomach hurt very much whe the program kills your work???

I´m tring to escape from this

hugs

Wilson Iwazawa

fi3er,

Maybe something to take note of: For very complex projects, it could be wise to make backups of key files even with online storage services. Your computer might explode, your dog might eat your cd's but you will always have a backup online.

Incremental saving is definitely a must if working with MAX. It is also reccomendable to do this practice with all applications.

Good luck,

/Diego

thanx to all of ya, guys, for your help. well, seems like I have to remodel it all. ok, hard lesson. nextime Ill have zillion bckups.

ya know, this is funny, cos Im the one that tells everyone in our Academy, that comps are ok, you just have to give them chance. now I hate them. well, I slowly stop hating them. nexttime Ill be wiser. thanx again. :rolleyes:

fi3er

Hi Daniel,

Normally what I do is import it in a notepad kind of program. What you will see if the max-file isn't corupted is this:

R o o t E n t r y ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

AND A LOT OF OTHER STRANGE CHARACTERS.....

When opening your file in notepad nothing comes up.. well nothing.. the file consists of 6.46 MB of spaces.. So it saved nothingness.. I know it does not help you, but next time you could check this first...

And to all others: I use incremental save as well... Its an option in the customize window under file: Increment on save. I have my autobackup on 10 minutes, but do some CTRL-S's once and a while...